maildrop mailfilers

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by george_yohng, Aug 29, 2010.

1. george_yohng

george_yohng New Member

Hello,

How does maildrop read filters, specified in ISPConfig3? Because I couldn't find where maildrop would access MySQL to read these filters, and ISPConfig3 does not create any /var/vmail/mailfilters/domain.com/user/.mailfilter files upon filter changes.

(creating those files manually, copy/pasting data from ISPConfig filter edit box - seems to work, but this doesn't happen automatically)

The system is OpenSuSE 11.2/11.3 with the automatic scripts to set up a Perfect Server. I wonder how to modify these scripts, so that Maildrop automatically picks up those files, or so that ISPConfig3 generates them?

Thanks,
    George.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maildrop reads the filters from the files that ISPConfig creates, but the latest perfect server guide for ispconfig on opensuse http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-opensuse-11.3-x86_64-ispconfig-3 uses dovecot and not courier. So maildrop is not used in this perfect setup and the directories in /var/vmail/mailfilters are not used too as ispconfig creates files for dovecot deliver inside the maildir.

Not sure what the script you used installs for a setup as we do not test any third party install scripts.

3. george_yohng

george_yohng New Member

Hello,

The script is located here, and it is derived from the earlier 'Perfect Server for OpenSUSE 11.2' tutorial:

http://www.howtoforge.com/script-fo...r-on-opensuse-11.2-and-installing-ispconfig-3

(Also there is one for 11.3, which is very similar)

Could you please point, where and how does ISPConfig3 create those files for maildrop when used with courier? Because it seems that ISPConfig really does not create any .mailfilter files of this pattern:
    /var/vmail/mailfilters/$HOST/$USER/.mailfilter

I have browsed ISPConfig3 sources, but could not understand how and where to enable filter creation.

Thanks,
    George.

4. till

ISPConfig is a event and plugin based framework. All mail related plugins are in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-enables/ and start with mail in the filename.

But looking at the sources will not help you as there are no bugs in these scripts. Instead you should check the settings and ensure that courier is set as mailserver and maildrop as delivery agent in the server config settings in ispconfig. Additionally you can enabled ebugging in ispconfig to see which actions are executed.

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/controlpanels/ispconfig3/how-to-enable-debugging-in-ispconfig-3/

5. george_yohng

george_yohng New Member

Thank you for the answer.

It appers that maildrop_plugin.inc.php is in plugins-available, but not plugins-enabled.

I will enable this plugin and see, if this helps.

6. till

OK, then the script you used is buggy as this problem is known to happen if a system contains the binaries of dovecot beside courier binaries so that the installer is not able to determine which of the both installed pop3/imap daemons shall be configured and defaults to dovecot then. You will have to check the settings in the server config then too. Better use the perfect server guide the next time if you want to install a server.

7. george_yohng

george_yohng New Member

Hello,

I have used a previous version of Perfect Server guide (courier based), but it had many other unfinished issues, and certainly did not mention anything about enabling this plugin.

It could be that the latest Perfect Server tutorial is more up to date.

The script is made by me, which follows the previous Perfect Server tutorial closely, and I will update it to enable this plugin. Thank you very much for pointing to the problem.

Thanks,
    George.

8. till

It is not nescessary to enable it manually when you use the perfect server guide. The main problem is the opensuse package manager yast which does not warn you when you try to install incompatible software for the same service while other package managers like apt will not even let you install incompatible software packages.

The other guides were working and complete as well at the time they were written. If they did not work for you, then you might have started with a different base setup or used different package versions. We found out that e.g. some maildrop package versions worked while others with a different version or from a different package mainatiner dont work. That why we switechd to dovecot for opensuse setups as there are no reliable coourier packages available for opensuse.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  9. george_yohng

george_yohng New Member

I see. Thank you for the explanation.