Mailman requires unique list names per server?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Steinbruch, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Steinbruch

Steinbruch Member HowtoForge Supporter

I just got an interesting request the other day:
    On our main mailserver we use mailman for mailing lists - so far so good. However, mailman refuses to let a user create a mailing list in his own email domain if a list of the same name already exists for any other email domain on that same server. (Even ISPconfig says - upon attempting to do so - that the list name has already been taken) E.g. if I have two clubs who want to have a list "[email protected]", only one can do so, the other will have to pick a different list name even though their domain is different from the first one.
    That is of course an annoyance to some users - in our old (errm, "ancient") confixx setup with Majordomo, this problem was non-existent (of course mdom hat other shortfalls - so there) - has anybody come about this issue and found a way to resolve it? Am I missing a setting in ISPconfig or is this a general restriction of mailman?
    Thanks,
    Gereon

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as I know, list names in mailman have to be unique on the whole server as Mailman is not really 'multi user capable', mailman treats the list name as an identifier to manage that list, that's why we limited it that way in ISPConfig.