mails not working

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by DrMartinus, Feb 13, 2019.

1. DrMartinus

DrMartinus Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I just noticed that since 10th of February, no mails are getting through to me. It seems also that sending doesn't work. Funny thing though: the mail client doesn't give any error message. In the mail-log I see messages like

Delivery temporarily suspended: connect to 127.0.0.1: ppppp: connection refused
    (ppppp = portnumber - the space between : and ppppp is only becaus it would otherwise automatically turn into an emojy))
    In smtp, there seems to be no error, but mails don't reach. What could be the reason?

One suspicion: I just updated ISPConfig using the update script - it's now 3.1.13. This morning I restarted the server just to be sure. No change.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the port number. Without that number one cannot say which software is causing the problem.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Maybe some services are not running? If your operating system uses systemd, try
    Code:
    systemctl --state=failed
    . If not, figure out what is similar command on your OS.

4. DrMartinus

Ok, port number ist 10024, and systemctl --state=failed reports that it's amavisd.service.

It seems that I cannot start it (tried it, but it fails again).

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which operating system do you use? Try to restart amavisd and then take a look right after that into the mail.log or maillog, depending on the OS, to see why it failed.

6. DrMartinus

It's CentOS. In maillog I don't find a any message relating to amavisd.

7. Taleman

Do ls -lth in the log directory, then start amavis. Then look again with ls -lth to find which log files do get something. Then examine those log files for clues why amavis fails to start.

8. DrMartinus

Thanks, I found something, but I can't figure out how to copy text from the mc editor to the clipboard (or from Putty - it just doesn't work the way they say it does). So I just report my impressions:
    amavis says that it cannot acess a PEM file, it has no access rights
    The error message is in the file "messages".
    In that file I also find a huge number of failed access attempts from IP addresses I don't know, and that worries me, but doesn't belong here. Can I just change access rights for the PEM file, and if so to what? The file has currently the access rights 644, it seems.

9. Taleman

Means owner has read write and group and others have only read. That should be enough to read the PEM file, which I think is certificate file.
    I don't know CentOS so can not help more with the information provided.
    This is the normal in Internet. wannabe crackers try to guess passwords or what not. Not much can be done about it, but to install security patches promptly and use something like fail2ban.

10. DrMartinus

It seems the amavisd.conf file was replaced. I had already in the previous one commented out the lines regarding dkim, because it didn't work then neither. I forgot about it. However, it seems to me that this cripples amavisd to some extent.