MailScanner tags outgoing Mails as Spam

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by repa2, Jan 16, 2010.

1. repa2

repa2 New Member

Hi all,

i have to following evt:

Exchange Server <-> Postfix with Mailscanner and Spamassassin.

all Mails sent from the Exchange Server are tagged as Spam:

Postfix conf:
    any IdeaS?

2. repa2

repa2 New Member

this is the header of the message

X-MailTown-MailScanner-ID: 135378A3D9.8C9D7
    X-MailTown-MailScanner: Found to be clean
    X-MailTown-MailScanner-SpamCheck: spam,SpamAssassin (nicht zwischen gespeichert, Wertung=10.482,benoetigt 6, AWL -0.91,
    BAYES_50 0.00, DCC_CHECK 2.17,DIGEST_MULTIPLE 0.00, EMPTY_MESSAGE 1.44, HTML_MESSAGE
    0.00,MIME_HTML_MOSTLY 0.00, MISSING_SUBJECT 1.76, PYZOR_CHECK 3.70,RDNS_NONE 0.10, TVD_SPACE_RATIO 2.22)
    X-MailTown-MailScanner-SpamScore: ssssssssss

do i see that right, that pyzor_check is giving mir 3.7 points for a normal one line mail ?

3. repa2

repa2 New Member

getting me crazy that thing.

why are incoming mails not scanned with alle plugins??

X-MailTown-MailScanner-ID: 042748A3DA.11BFE
    X-MailTown-MailScanner: Found to be clean
    X-MailTown-MailScanner-From: [email protected]

Nothing with X-MailTown-MailScanner-SpamCheck:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You probably need to change the mydomain setting in your amavisd configuration.

5. repa2

repa2 New Member

i use clamav and virus scannng is running. i'm talking about the spamassassin scans.

6. topdog

topdog Active Member

This should fix it, edit /etc/MailScanner/rules/scan.messages.rules and add this at the top.

Code:
    Restart mailscanner.

172.19.xx.xx has to be the ip address of your exchange server, Mail coming from that address will not be scanned on the way out.

7. repa2

repa2 New Member

cool perfect, will try so.

but if outgoing mails are not scanned anymore, will bayes still learn from this mail and will they still be whitelisted or are all modules not scanning this mails ?

8. topdog

topdog Active Member

There is many ways to do this, if you want the mail to be scanned you can do that by set your spam actions to deliver even if it is marked as spam but then it means the mail could be rejected upstream.

Have you tried investigating which rules are being matched by your exchange submitted emails ?

9. repa2

repa2 New Member

Yes, the DCC-Check and PRYZOR Check made to most points when sending mails from the exchange.

all my rules are on deliver, we just modify the subject, but don't delete any mails...

10. topdog

topdog Active Member

IN that case then u are actually sending out spam as DCC an pyzor are signature based checks.

11. repa2

repa2 New Member

i red that pyzor is also doing checks, how long a mail is etc.

the server is not sending spam, because it's not in production.

also, that's an internal ip address, i don't think that's listed somewhere :)

12. topdog

topdog Active Member

Listing and signature checks are two different things, DCC and pyzor work by calculating a value based on the contents of an email and comparing it against a know database of values.

13. repa2

repa2 New Member

ok

if i typ a mail with 2 lines like

"hey guys, how are you. greets."

than it's tagged as spam by dcc and pyzor

if i type a long mail, it's not tagged by them...

last question: if i make the trick with /etc/MailScanner/rules/scan.messages.rules and disable scannign for my exchange, will bayes and autowhitelist keep learning?