Mailserver setup

Discussion in 'General' started by bogdinator, Dec 20, 2005.

1. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Well it might be a pretty duff question with a simple solution for you guy but I did install ISPConfig couple of days ago and set up webpages so far. The next thing I want to do is to set up a mailserver. I have done everything from the howto "The Perfect Setup ... SUSE 9.3 ..." I am not keen on the webinterface now, it would do if I had a simple IMAP running. Are there any manuals how to do it with ISPConfig?
    By the way another question: I am using ISPConfig to manage my department server in the uni. That means it has a limitted amount of users. What is the best way to do it in ISPConfig - make my department as Customer and create department members as Users there or make my department Reseller and create department members as Customers?
    Thanks a lot in beforehand.
    And yeah.... Marry Christmass

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

http://www.ispconfig.org/documentation.htm

If you have already created website in ISPConfig, you only have to add some users for the mail accounts in ISPConfig.

Make department as Customer and create department members as Users.

3. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Thanks a lot for a REALLY fast answer! I've read the manual but I couldn't find the bit which interests me. I mean I did create a web and one user. Does this mean that this user can use his Thunderbird straight away and enter their for IMAP server the ip of the department server? That would be wonderfull :rolleyes:

4. till

Yes, this user is already a mailuser.

SMTP and IMAP Server is the IP or domain of the website you created.

username is something like web[X]_username and trhe password you chose when you created the user.

5. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Hmm... I did what you said till - used ip of the computer where ISPConfig is running as and IMAP server but... thunderbird seems to hang when it tries to log in :(
    Also I did install some PHP-book-review software which suppose to send emails to users (something like reminder or so) but it doesn't... It this an indicater for some misconfiguration of Postfix?

6. till

Can you access the accounts with POP3 in thunderbird?

Please check your maillog for postfix and imap errors.

7. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

WOW that was quick :eek: !!!
    I just did try to access the account in POP3. First it did give me a weird error message "something like there is no maildir or so" but next time I did it, it was all right. I am trying to send some emails now. Will report shortly...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  8. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Well it looks like it sends the messages... I just can't receive any of them :)
    Is it possible to look at the maillogs in ISPConfig? Statistik is not exactly what I need ;-)

9. till

You will have to look in the maillogs at the shell. The logs are located in /var/log
    To show the latest entries in your logfile, you can use the command:

tail -n 100 logfilename

where you replace logfilename with the name of the logfile and the number with the number of lines you want to get.

The name of the mail logfile is mail, mail.log or mail.info

10. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

This is weird. If I make an POP3 account for the user wich was created during the setup (Perfect Setup ... SUSE9.3 ...) then I am not getting any error messages. If I create a user wich ISPConfig and will try to fetch his emails I get first this message
    Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server ...... responded: Maildir:No such file or directory​
    after that anoter window pops up where I enter his password:confused:

11. till

The Maildirs where created by postfix when the first email arrives at this account. So when there ahs not been send an email before you try the first imap login, you might get the Maildir error.

12. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you enable Maildir under Management -> Server -> Settings?
    Also, send an email to the account that dives you the errors. When the first email arrives, the Maildir is created.