MailSize Loop?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by themachine, Oct 11, 2005.

1. themachine

themachine ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

So... I seem to keep having this problem. I send a test email to myself ('[email protected]')... This is not a user setup/controlled through ISPConfig (i.e. '[email protected]') because I want to keep my sysadmin accounts outside of the ISPConfig thang.

The problem is an email loop keeps starting... the message is the "Mailsize" email originally to 'ispconfig@localhost' ... the subject is "Mailsize: username" and the body appears to be the size of the message that was sent. But it just loops and keeps sending until I kill postfix.

Any help would be lovely... I'm sure that this is some minor configuration. I have the ispconfig@localhost pointing to this same user in /etc/aliases... but I don't see why it is looping resending this message over and over.

Plus... why is there a "Mailsize" email anyways???

thanks.

bj

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's the exact error message?

Don't redirect the emails to admispconfig to another user! :eek: These emails are necessary for the email traffic statistics in ISPconfig!

3. themachine

oooooohhhhhhh

yeah... that would make sense.... admispconfig actually forwards to root, and root forwards to my sysadmin user. I can't say whether I added the "admispconfig: root" or if it was there.... hmm.

Thank you... the "Mailsize" emails make so much more sense now! ;) I'll play around a bit.

BJ

4. themachine

everything works perfect now!

NOTE TO ALL... don't forward your admispconfig@localhost to another user.... its just bad news! ;)

5. sirmee2001

sirmee2001 New Member

mail loop

I am having the same problem. How and where do I check if mail to admispconfig@localhost is being forwarded to another user?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That depends on where you added the forward. If you not added the forward yourself on the shell, i guess you do not have the problem discussed in this thread.

Did you get mails with a number inside or did you get an error message in your maillog stating "mail loops back to myself"?

7. falko

What's in your mail log?

8. sirmee2001

sirmee2001 New Member

I got hundreds of mails with numbers in them within half a minute, i.e. before I made changes in main.cf and reloaded postfix. The thing is, I want to set up an always_bcc account. If I add that to main.cf and send a test mail, the mail gets sent and then immediately after that messages are sent non-stop to the bcc account from the ispconfig@localhost account with what I assume to be mail sizes in them.

9. sirmee2001

sirmee2001 New Member

Here is a bit of the log information. I am new to this whole forum thing so forgive me if I am not doing it the right way.

10. till

What exactly did you add in main.cf ?

11. sirmee2001

sirmee2001 New Member

always_bcc = emailaddress

I just added the line above with a valide email address

12. falko

Comment out/remove that line from /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix. Please read this thread from the beginning to understand why you should not interfere with emails to admispconfig@localhost.

13. sirmee2001

sirmee2001 New Member

always_bcc

I removed the line. Is there another way of tracking the emails that have been sent from my system? I need to see the passwords that users have chosen during registration so that I can create email accounts for them using the same passwords.

14. till

Why dont you modify the registration script to send you a copy of the email?

15. sirmee2001

sirmee2001 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am using joomla 1.0.3. Could you please give me a hint where to do that?

16. till

I'am not so familar with Joomla. Maybe you can ask the folks in the joomla forums.

17. sirmee2001

sirmee2001 New Member

I will do that. Thanks a lot.