Main server inversion in multiserver configuration

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by gscaglia, Sep 4, 2023.

1. gscaglia

gscaglia Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I have two servers with Debian 12 and ISPConfig 3.2.11 with the multiserver configuration keeping websites in sync with Unison and mailboxes with dovecot sync.

So far, ks07 has been the main server, i.e. the one that supplies the services (including the dns server), while the other ks06 only acted as a mirror in case of downtime of the main server.

So on the master ISPConfig, which is external to the two servers, the configuration in System --> Server services of ks06 is like "Is mirror of Server: ks07".

Now I have to switch the two servers and ks06 has already become the main server, i.e. the one that supplies the services and ks07 the secondary one which comes into operation only if the main one goes down.

So do I have to reverse the configuration in System --> Server services?

Since the two servers have been in production for years, does the change in System --> Server services have any implications on websites and email accounts already in operation?

Thanks a lot

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not really switch the systems as it is always a master/slave setup. The GUI on the second system is connected to the dbispconfig database on the first, so even if you login to the second system, the first server will stay the master.

3. gscaglia

Hi Till,
    the ISPConfig master is external to the two servers that provide the services, therefore each of the two has its own database and both connect to the dbispconfig database of the VM with the master, the indication of the mirror server I guess is only useful for ISPConfig to know which operations are intended for both servers.

Given this, the question is whether I can move the indication "Is mirror of Server:" without causing damage to sites and mailboxes already present.

Because there are some little things that are annoying: for example I noticed that if you open a new site on what is now the main server but is considered as a mirror, the let's encrypt certificate works but the relevant box in the settings does not remain flagged of the site.

So when you go to make changes on the site, if you don't notice the bug, you confirm and ISPConfig removes let's encrypt from the site which then becomes unreachable.

So I can safely reverse the indication "Is mirror of Server:" in System --> Server services?

Thanks a lot

4. till

If you created a site for server1 and server2 is a mirror of server1, then this site is assigned to server1 on the master, it does not exist for server2 on the master. Mirroring means that server2 requests to get all changes for server1 while not being server1. Therefore you can not simply reverse this as all records on the master are fro the wrong server then.

gscaglia likes this.
  5. gscaglia

Ok perfect, thanks.
    Then, exchange the VMs between the two servers so as to respect the order already present on the ISPConfig master.

6. till

Yes, that is a better solution!