Maintain dkim configuration after disable domain

Discussion in 'General' started by Leandro Helou, May 12, 2020.

1. Leandro Helou

Leandro Helou New Member

Hello all!
    First of all, sorry for my english. I've been hanging around with a problem that I can't solve

I have a server (SERVER1) with ISPCONFIG3.1 for my example.com domain on which I have DKIM and DMARC working correctly.
    Then I have another server (SERVER2) also with ISPCONFIG3.1 with some apps that send emails with the example.com domain.

Is there any chance to configure DKIM in SERVER2 for example.com?

I tried to create the domain from the panel and enable DKIM (which works perfect) but then I have the problem that the mails sent from SERVER2 do not reach the correct mailserver since it believes that the domain is local.

When disabling the example.com domain from the ISPCONFIG panel, the DKIM configuration is lost.

Maybe some way to keep DKIM settings even if domain is disabled from dashboard?

Thanks in advance.

Leandro.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Not with the ISPConfig interface.

Just to clarify,SERVER1 and SERVER2 are each a standalone ISPConfig install, not members of the same (multi-server) installation?

A quick solution would seem to be just have the apps send through SERVER1 via smtp; enable authentication for them and you'll have the additional advantage of authenticated sender headers, which provides better mail delivery through spam scanners.

If there's really a need to do what you're trying, setup example.com on SERVER2 with dkim as you have done, then make a copy of /var/lib/amavis/dkim/example.com.public and /var/lib/amavis/dkim/example.com.private and copy the DNS-Record shown in the Email domain section. If you check you'll find:
    Code:
    # grep example.com /etc/amavis/conf.d/60-dkim
    dkim_key('example.com', 'default', '/var/lib/amavis/dkim/example.com.private');

Note that 'default' is the dkim selector, and matches the subdomain name in your DNS-Record - that will have to be different for SERVER1 and SERVER2.

Now delete the email domain on SERVER2 again, and restore /var/lib/amavis/dkim/example.com.public and /var/lib/amavis/dkim/example.com.private from your copies. Add a dkim_key entry to /etc/amavis/conf.d/99-local (or some other conf.d file - do NOT put it back in the 60-dkim file), changing the 'default' selector to 'server2' or something. Restart amavis.

Now go to SERVER1 and add a new DKIM record in DNS matching the 'server2' selector above. You can not use the DKIM button for this, add a TXT record as admin (or there is a workaround in https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/issues/5337 to accomplish this as a user, but it's simpler as admin) with 'server2._domainkey' as the subdomain name, and the 'v=DKIM1; t=s; p=....." as the value.

Then test it out... and hope you are actually running amavis, not rspamd. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  3. Leandro Helou

Leandro Helou New Member

Yes!, forgot to mention that, all both are standalone servers.

I'm going to try this, it's something similar to what I had already tried, only I had not added the dkim_key in 99-local.

Thank you so much for your time, Jesse!