major problems

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by kwickcut, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kwickcut

kwickcut Member HowtoForge Supporter

i was in ispconfig deleting data bases and checking in phpmyadmin to make sure they were deleted. the second data base i deleted was bid when i refreshed phpmyadmin all of the data bases were gone i when i singed into putty it said that the system needed to reboot so i rebooted it. no on boot i am getting this error
    Code:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    i can do nothing from this screen i have no putty access and no websites running.

what should i do? i know or think this is a grub problem ant ideas how i can fix this

kwick

2. kwickcut

after doing some reading on this it seems that the problem is in the boot area like it is full. being that i can not access the box by ether putty of directly hooked up to the box can i use the ubuntu 10.4 disk to boot into the system and clean out the boot area? and if so what should i be looking to remove

thanks

kwick

3. kwickcut

ok i have found out that if i hold the shift key when i reboot the i could get into the kernal boot i selected the one below the latest and then the box booted up and i have access to the server once again. how can i clean out the older grubs as my boot is 98%full and i think this may be part of the problem

kwick

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can delete old kernels that you don't use anymore.

5. kwickcut

yes i understand that but how can i do one at a time

i know that i can run
    Code:
    dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge
    it will remove all but the current kernel but how can i just delete one at a time instead of doing them all?

i want to keep one or 2 backups rite now i am running on 2.6.32-37-server but i think that 2.6.32-38-server is the latest when i select that one i am getting the error from above thanks

kwick

6. kwickcut

ok i have found out that if i use
    Code:
    dpkg --list | grep linux-image
    it will list all of my kernels but how can i delete them one at a time this is my list

Code:
    rc  linux-image-2.6.31-14-server     2.6.31-14.48                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.31 on x86
    rc  linux-image-2.6.31-17-server     2.6.31-17.54                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.31 on x86
    rc  linux-image-2.6.31-19-server     2.6.31-19.56                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.31 on x86
    rc  linux-image-2.6.31-20-server     2.6.31-20.58                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.31 on x86
    rc  linux-image-2.6.31-21-server     2.6.31-21.59                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.31 on x86
    rc  linux-image-2.6.31-22-server     2.6.31-22.73                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.31 on x86
    ii  linux-image-2.6.31-23-server     2.6.31-23.75                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.31 on x86
    ii  linux-image-2.6.32-34-server     2.6.32-34.77                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    ii  linux-image-2.6.32-35-server     2.6.32-35.78                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    ii  linux-image-2.6.32-36-server     2.6.32-36.79                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    ii  linux-image-2.6.32-37-server     2.6.32-37.81                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    iF  linux-image-2.6.32-38-server     2.6.32-38.83                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    iU  linux-image-server               2.6.32.38.44                      Linux ker                                                                             nel image on Server Equipment.

thanks for any help

kwick

7. kwickcut

Solved

Solved closed

8. Gigaquad

Gigaquad New Member

Would you mind saying how so the rest of us can use it? :)

9. kwickcut

you can run this

Code:
    apt-get purge NAME-OF-THE-KERNEL-PACKAGE
    or

Code:
    aptitude purge NAME-OF-THE-KERNEL-PACKAGE