Majority Platform

Discussion in 'General' started by South_Raven, Mar 19, 2008.

1. South_Raven

South_Raven New Member

I inadvertently posted something like this in the wrong thread. :eek:

I am preparing to set up a 1u server to use for site development in a shared hosting environment. Previously my preference was to set up a FreeBSD AMP server. The problem is that I have trashed it so many times and gotten tired of reloading. I like what I have seen and read about as far as ISPConfig and think it will serve me well as a CPanel open source replacement. The problem though is that FreeBSD and ISPConfig don't play well together and my *nix'ing isn't up to par enough to rewrite code. I have enough to do anyway just in the site development to keep me busy anyway.

If it could be turned in to a survey or just opinions and responses from the forum member here that would be great but I would like to know what is the platform of choice for ISPConfig and creating a shared hosting environment?

Some of the services that would be needed are pretty much the most common ones like Apache2, php5, MySQL5, Perl, Curl, OpenSSL, Bind 8 or 9 and of course mail.

One of my goals is to be able to use the system to develop a site and then when I am done just be able to archive it to cd/dvd and kill the shared hosting account. Another one is that if I am developing and kill the site code just be able to delete the offending account and recreate it rather than have to fix it or perhaps restore it back to a point in time backup.

Perhaps I'm wrong but at first glance it appears that ISPConfig is developed on a single platform and then ported to other *nix varieties. Is this the case? I find it ironic that its licensed under the BSD license but yet its not compatible with FreeBSD.

I'd appreciate any comments and direction.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is developed on Debian Linux and Debian is the platform that I recommend personally.