Make the installer a bit more forviging

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Zoon, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Zoon

Zoon New Member

Heya,

Am installing ISPConfig on another FC4 server (already installed it on another successfully) and this is the 7th time I've had to rm -rf the home/admispconfig and root/ispconfig due to typos in the mysql password, typing the wrong IP address, that kinda thing.

So, my suggestion is that if the install script throws an error, instead of just saying "Your install failed, you'll need to do it again", that it prompts and says "that value didn't work, please try it again".

For example if when its asking for the DB username and password details if I type the password wrong, instead of saying "error could not connect to DB, install failed" it says "error could not connect to DB" and then asks for the DB server, username and password again.

Would make the installer a bit more forgiving and save having to wait for the whole thing to recompile over again!

Cheers :cool:

2. themachine

themachine ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Agreed... but....

i have to agree... I had to re-start the installing a few times after borking the SSL cert info. A bit of second guessing "is this correct?" wouldn't be bad.

However, I have to say thank you to all the developers involved! The installation was flawless (once you get the info right). I don't think I've installed anything so complex yet have it work the first time!

Thanks.

3. domino

domino New Member

Good, point. I remember how I felt trying to install linux and ISPC the first time. Making sure I dotted my "i" and crossed my "t"s. Seamed to take forever the first time. After the 5th server install, I can prolly do it with my eyes closed. But yes, the first 2x was a horrible experience. Double checks are a welcome feature.