Making secondary ISPConfig server the new primary

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by rst, Oct 26, 2020.

1. rst

rst New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,
    Already searched the forum, but only found some old posts pertaining to my questions below and didn't quite get the information there.
    I currently have the following setup:
    • Serv1: current primary server for ISPConfig, running some websites and e-mail domains.
    • Serv2: current secondary server for ISPConfig. Runs other websites and e-mail domains, which are configured through the webinterface of ISPConfig on Serv1.
    • (Serv3: soon to be added as additional server, but I figure this will be most handy to do at a later point after figuring out how to handle my question below)
    I want to phase out Serv1 due to it's age and make Serv2 the new primary for ISPConfig. I already manually migrated most of the websites from Serv1 to Serv2, but would like some pointers on how to make Serv2 my new primary ISPConfig server. Reinstalling is not an option, since Serv2 already runs a number of websites.

I would prefer it if I was able to still manage Serv1 through the Serv2 ISPConfig webinterface, since i won't be able to shut it down soon. However if that complicates things further, I can also live with having Serv1 acting as its own standalone primary and Serv2 with acting as its own primary and parent to Serv3.

How should I go about this?
    Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Robin

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would setup a new cluster, and migrate everything from server1 and server2 to that new cluster using the migration tool.
    It is wise to run your servers as virtual machine / vps, so you can migrate systems to new hardware easily in the future.

This topic may be interesting, I discussed my new setup there: https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/installing-a-new-setup.85256/