Manage both Nginx and Apache from same ISPConfig?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ceestep, Oct 31, 2014.

1. ceestep

ceestep New Member

We already have ISPConfig3 set up in an Nginx-only environment. ISPConfig3 is installed on an Nginx server and it manages two other Nginx web servers, one of which is a mirror of another. We are getting requests from customers who want to use Apache instead. Is it possible to introduce Apache into this configuration? That is to say, can we use our existing standalone ISPConfig3 running on Nginx (as a "management server") to manage new Apache servers that we add? We wouldn't be trying to mirror any of the existing Nginx servers to these Apache servers or run any of the existing sites already configured for Nginx on the new Apache servers. We would just like to use the existing ISPConfig3 management console to manage both Nginx and Apache to give our customers a choice of underlying web servers without having to set up a separate ISPConfig3 console for the Apache servers. I can't seem to find anything that says you can or can't either way. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. rpr

rpr New Member

I think that this isn't a problem. Ispconfig detects during the installation if the server runs apache or nginx and change some parameters depending on the result.

3. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can not use apache and nginx on the same server.

4. rpr

rpr New Member

Idd but with different servers you can use different services.
    You can have a nginx and an apache server. But they should be seperate servers.

5. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

If server B is a mirror, i bet you can´t use apache on A and nging on B.

I know that ispconfig can handle apache and nginx but not on the same server (or even a mirror).

6. rpr

rpr New Member

idd, in a mirror you can't switch technologies.
    You could have custom .htaccess which ngynx wouldn't be able to read and execute the commands.

If you need mirroring you should create 2 new servers.

7. Tom Dings

Tom Dings New Member

Bit late for sure ... But I customized IspConfig in such a way to run and manage Apache2 and Nginx simultaneously on a single server. Besides that it is possible to make a choice if you like to use Nginx as Reverse Proxy with Apache2 and/or Nginx as webserver.

There are many more options available and as far as I am done developing now it all works flawless. Even possible to use these setups in Docker Containers, or as regular configuration with different virtual hosts.

I do not have an option to provide this solution as plugin or 'easy install scenario' but it works perfectly. Let me know if you like to get some detailed information.

OptimBro and ahrasis like this.
  8. OptimBro

OptimBro Member

Hi Tom,

I would like to have some detailed information about your setup, looks really interesting.