Mandatory Profile with Samba & Ubuntu HowTo

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by DVS, Aug 10, 2006.

1. DVS

DVS New Member

Hey guy's.
    Grate How To. I'm a COMPLETE noob on this subject and I got my DC running the first time!!

So, needless to say, everything is running smoothly. I can create users and passwords and log them in from a windows based client. I even got the logon scripts running, setting up windows and Linux shares all over the place.

Typically I was impressed for the first few days...till the itch got hold of me again.

Now, everytime I create a new user and this user logs in htey need to set up there profile completely from scratch. Desktop shortcuts, Internet favorites, proxy connection settings the works.

I've read in various versions of documentation about "Mandatory Profiles" but I'm not finding any consistancies in the various versions.

All I want to do is have ONE windows profile allong with eatch user having theire own samba space (the space I get...the single profile I don't).

Any quick guides / help on the subject? Please, anything will help, I'm going crazy!! I've been at it 5days straight now and I know it's wrIGHT infron of me...no pun intended.
    :eek:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'am not familra with Mandatory prifiles, but have you tried to copy the profile files from an existing user (under linux) to a new user?

3. DVS

DVS New Member

An option...

Hey till,
    yes I have tried that. Didn't work too well :confused:

I've also tried the NTUSER.dat to NTUSER.man thing....the "copy the windows user dir to a Default User dir on samba" thing...

lOOOOOOng story short, I've come up with a second best option. I (luckily) don't have that big a domain. Les than 10 pc's and not more than 50 users
    (as yet). So I'm creating a profiled user of my choice on EACH workstation and
    then going to "My Computer-properties, Advanced tab, users settings" selecting the user I've created and "copy to" the "C:/Documents and Users/Default User" dir, while making it available to "everybody". So everytime I create a new samba user and they log on for the first time, they get this same profile popping up.

I guess I should be satisfied, but it still seems to me like a lot of repetative clicking that I'm sure has been programed out some where along the line.

There aren't ANY clear tut's or how to's on the subject... Makes me wonder how schools and universities cope seeing that they work on more or less the same basis - one profile, 100'ds of pc's and 1000'nds of users...

Then on the other hand, I guess they have the finances to purchace the windows software for the job :-/

Mine is running on a 266mHz Pentium 2 with less than 512 RAM and just over 4GB of HD space... :cool:

Now THATS what I call impressive :p

Still, I'm certain there must be a way of doing the user profile creation thingy just once and then accessing it from samba...
    But for now this will have to do :rolleyes:

Thanx for the interest!