Mass migration of Emails from FreeBSD to ISPConfig

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by maileh, Jan 6, 2014.

1. maileh

maileh Member

Maybe to be more clear do Can we migrate Email Box with Domain like we do with DNS. On DNS we can import from files, Can we do the same to Email,.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which mail storage format does your current mailserver use (mbox, maildir,...) and which imap server daemon do you use?

3. maileh

maileh Member

Hi Till
    Thanks for the reply. Our email storage is Maildir/ with courier-imap daemon

4. till

ispconfig supports courier imap and uses also Maildir format. You ca use the ispconfig remote api to write a script that creates all mailboxes in ispconfig automatically. We offer also development services to write such import scripts if you are not that familar with php / soap. after the mailboxes have been created, you can copy over all maildirs to the new location with a script. in ispconfig, mailboxes are stored in /var/vmail/domain.tld/user/Maildir/

In case you want to migrate to dovecot, then there is a script available for the conversion of the maildir format here in the forum.

5. maileh

maileh Member

Yes i want to move to dovecot.
    Please let me know what to do.
    Thanks

6. maileh

maileh Member

Hi Till
    Any update on this issue from yesterday ... once again thanks in advance.
    Regards
    maileh

7. robsbots

robsbots New Member

8. maileh

maileh Member

thanks, i understand that after using imaosync, customer can access using imap, how about if they want to access using pop3 ???/

9. robsbots

robsbots New Member

As far as I know pop3 should see the same emails as imap does, we just happen to use imap to move them.

It does mean you will need the email account to be available on both machines. I had to create each email address by hand on the new server first.

You will also need the password for each user so imaosync can log in.

I have used this to transfer accounts from one server to another but only did one account at a time, rather than writing a script to call imapsync for each user. If you have a lot of accounts a script would be the way to go.

10. maileh

maileh Member

yep i have more than two thousands account to transfer ... any suggestion is appreciate

11. robsbots

robsbots New Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. till

Why so complicated if you can simply copy over the mailboxes with cp? Like I explained above, the maildir format is compatible, no need to use imapsync which is slow and requires you to have cleartext password for each mailbox.

Imapsync should only be used when you have to convert to a mail store format were no converter exists or when you do not have access to the filesystems of the source or target server, but thats not the case here as there is not even a conversion nescessary.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014