Mastodon server on ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'General' started by Wade John Beckett, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Wade John Beckett

Wade John Beckett Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi there,
    I trust you are well.

Is it possible to install federated apps like:
    • Mastodon,
    • Jitsi,
    • PeerTube
    into the vhosts created by ISPConfig 3?

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It might be possible, though I haven't done so myself.

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

it may be possible, but i'm not sure it would make the most sense.

mastodon maybe, although the standard instructions say to use docker, it can be installed from source. but even then it want's postgres.
    do you really want to run both postgres and mysql? especially since postgres won't be managed by ispconfig.
    two different database servers are going to use up a lot of ram, would have to be a decently sized server, but i don't see any other major stumbling blocks / concerns

jitsi and peertube, not even bothering to look at the install requirements for them, one is a youtube clone using peer-to-peer to stream/torrent both your own locally hosted videos, and other peertube videos, the other is a video-conferencing app.

ispconfig is generally used for mass shared hosting, although i guess some places will use it for easily managing just a couple of their own websites. for shared hosting services, you want to keep your available bandwidth for serving up websites as quickly as possible, the last thing you would want is large video streams taking up your bandwidth.
    i feel, and it's purely a personal opinion, that these types of sites/services would be best run on their own dedicated server / vps.

4. chrisale

chrisale Member

I will likely try to install Mastodon in a non-jail kit, full user (created by adduser rather than ISPC).
    It would only be a single-user (maybe two or three) instance. The biggest consideration I'm worried about is whether postgresql and mysql will play nice together, whether there will be conflict with redis as Mastodon needs it, and whether I'll be able to manage any of it in ISPConfig and whether it will complicate updating ISPConfig.

I have Mastodon running on a Debian 11 system (an old iMac) so I have experience with it. Adding ISPConfig into the mix will be the tricky part.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Better install Mastodon with Docker on the server so it does not interfere with the other components.

ahrasis likes this.
  6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Please note that ISPConfig must be installed in a fresh clean system.

7. chrisale

chrisale Member

Ok, I will do that. Thank you for the advice. I haven't used Docker so Ill play around with it elsewhere first before diving in.