memory and rescource consumption

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by domino, Aug 17, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

This would be a great how-to. Teach us how to lower memory and cpu usage yet, keep a balance with security and peice of mind.

Which brings to this question. What services can I disable and enable so that my "VPS" doesn't use so much memory? I commited my VPC to use 256mb of memory yet it persists in using 300mb. I set the swapfile the same as the tut for fedora 3 but I don't think it uses it :(. Does it really need 300mb? Can I lower it to 200mb? Does Gnome use memory even you aren't logged into the the gui?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can run

Code:
    ps aux
    and

Code:
    to see what's eating up your memory. And if you don't need the service, stop it.
    And yes, Gnome's using memory. Why are you running a desktop on a server? :confused:

3. domino

domino New Member

Yes, I know you are disappointed. I installed it just in case I need to do something I couldn't do in shell. I created a screen and I was wondering if you could help. I didn't install anything other than ez-ipupdate deamon RPM package which doesnt have a gui :rolleyes:. Other than that, it's the stock install as you have instructed in that great How-To. Plus Gnome :p.

Attached Files:

• top.png
      top.png
      File size:
      16.6 KB
      Views:
  4. domino

domino New Member

BTW, I did a YUM update and installed the new kernel plus all the updates. Things seam to be much faster and better response. I just hope it doesnt break ISPConfig during the process.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's the rhn-applet-gui? Eats up 8% of your memory...
    And what's hald?

6. domino

domino New Member

Damn Gnome munches down on memory. I don't know if I can trade the memory usage and how easy it is to configure if I was in gui. I gues I will have to ponder on that.

From what I gathered from memory, it's a HAL Deamon? I remember HAL being a sci-fi character and something to do with a processor. :confused:

Edit: here it is, hardware abstraction layer daemon for gnome's new hal. But I still don't know what it is..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005