Migrate a site/email/db from server A to B

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by saphirblanc, Jul 5, 2018.

1. saphirblanc

saphirblanc New Member

Hello,

Do you know if there is a script I could use to migrate data from a server to another for a specific website, db and mails ?

We currently have a multi-servers environment and sometimes we need to move some clients as they take a lot of space.
    Otherwise, we'll build one ourselves.

Thank you very much,
    Yann

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no script available to move sites and databases within a multiserver environment, but I'm working on one as part of the Migration Toolkit.

ahrasis and saphirblanc like this.
  3. saphirblanc

saphirblanc New Member

Thanks for your answer! Do you have any timeframe ? That would be awesome!

4. till

It is the next big feature that we are adding, but I don't have a release timeframe yet. I hope to finish it in autumn 2018.

Juky, ahrasis and saphirblanc like this.
  5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

it's nice that a script is being created for this, but I don't think it should just be part of the migration toolkit, it should be an integral feature of ispconfig itself.
    not trying to migrate a site/db/email to another ispconfig system, but to another ispconfig member on the same system, on a multi-webserver system can be a fairly common/regular occurrence.
    it should ideally be as easy as (eg for a website) going into the website tab, selecting the website and changing the server in the drop down list (which is currently greyed out if a site already exists) and then the site (and associated ssh user/ftp user/ db (if not on dedicated server) are transferred to the newly selected server.
    much easier than editing the server id, resyncing the new server, manually copy over files/db/mail, resync the old server

also ideally, the script shouldn't require any resyncs at all. since we can't limit the resync to specific users/sites etc. for servers with a lot of sites on it can take a long time to resync, and causes a lot of disruption with apache restarts every minute during the resync.

6. till

Implementing, testing and maintaining this is quite a lot of work, the complexity comes from the many kind of errors that can occur when you move a site between servers and from implementing this in a secure fashion. I guess that someone who is able to afford the rent (or price to buy servers + electricity + network bandwidth) for multiple servers is also able to afford the migration tool price as well to support our work on ISPConfig. If I would add that as an integral part in ispconfig, then I would either have to spin off a non-free 'pro' version of ISPConfig like many OpenSource projects do it (and which I tried to avoid) which contains this feature or we need a sponsor company which pays the development and maintenance of this feature for the community.

webguyz, ahrasis and Croydon like this.
  7. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

fair enough.
    I know it's a lot of work. i'm not a programmer, I can generally work out most of what the codes doing when reading through the files. but I usually have no idea where to start when attempting to write code. I can change what already exists a bit, or write simple single file scripts, but that's about it.

I just feel it's something that's not really migration between systems, and would be commonly used enough on multi-server systems that it should be in the control panel itself. that said, everyone has their own idea on required features, and if we all got our way, you'd have a never ending list of requirements to add. :eek:

I try to support as I can, I have the manual, the migration toolkit (probably a very out-of-date version by now) and license ispprotect.

you don't want an official paid for pro version, I can understand that, just one single codebase to manage. maybe an option is an extension pack of useful scripts/features that extend the control panel itself that can be sold separately. although that would still mean even more variation in what's out there, which would make your life even harder keeping everything maintained and working.
    this is one of the reasons i'm glad i'm not a programmer. ;)

till likes this.
  8. saphirblanc

saphirblanc New Member

Hi Till,

I've found this thread : https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/ispconfig-migration-question.78933/ does it mean that it's already possible to migrate things such as website, db, emails (not the whole server) to another host inside a multi-server environment using the current migration tool ? What is the benefit of the feature you're currently coding ?

Thank you!

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

No.
    To use migration tool you must have two ISPConfig setups, the SOURCE and the TARGET.
    The thread is about SOURCE and TARGET setups. Then it is possible to use migration tool to copy a website from SOURCE to TARGET. It does not work for moving website inside a multi server environment.

10. saphirblanc

saphirblanc New Member

OK thanks for your answer!

11. saphirblanc

saphirblanc New Member

Hi @till do you have any beta of your tool ? Would love to try it :). Thanks.

12. till

I'm sorry, the beta is not ready yet.

13. NdK

NdK Member

Well, in theory you're right. But sometimes it's not the case. The problem is not strictly the price, but the administrative part. $5000 for a server? No problem: there are a request, multiple offers, an invoice, it can be registered in inventory, etc. $15 for a tool only available online? No way. Stupid burocracy. The only workaround could be to buy it via a reseller, and costs go up.
    That said, I'll try to do my best to find a way to buy the new migration tool.

14. till

ISPConfig is a normal Germany based company, we are vat registered and like any company, we send you an invoice of course. Send us an email to request an offer for the tool, you order it, receive the invoice, so anything as usual.

15. NdK

NdK Member

I'll try to push for it. At least a manual download and 1y migration toolkik should be doable. I hope.

till likes this.
  16. backofficegeorgia

backofficegeorgia New Member

Site and DB is very easy to migrate i just use FTP/file manager (Instead of downloading all the files and folders i recommend to archive them and download as single file, same goes to upload on the new server) and Navicat for mysql part.

For email part i was loosing to much time, easiest solution was opening old and new servers in Outlook and drag/drooping emails/folders using GUI

but after i purchased Microsoft/Exchange and since than lots of issues linked to security/filters/ssl etc got solved and even there is no need for migration process. (also office 365 support team is best i have seen until now in this buisness)

17. NdK

NdK Member

Seems I only could convince 'em for 6m subscription... And still don't know how long it will take... They tried making me sign for just one instance of the manual :( But at least a small contribution is arriving.

till likes this.