Migrate or Copy?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Norm Powroz, May 15, 2020.

1. Norm Powroz

Norm Powroz New Member

So, here's my situation:
    I've been using ISPConfig3 for several years on one server, running several web sites (PHPBB, Joomla, multiple WordPress instances, home-brewed Webs, even Ruby on Rails), a couple of FTP sites, and a partridge in a pear tree. I love it, and find it really intuitive to work with and rock-solid stable. A truly well-done piece of code!
    Now, sadly, that server is nearing the end of its meaningful life. Its O/S is CentOS 6.10, its PHP is 5.6, its Python is 2.6, and so on -- you get the picture. It's past time to move things to a newer machine with all new software at the latest release levels. To that end, I have (with a little struggling) built a new system based on CentOS 8.1, with PHP 7.4.6, Python 3.6.8 and the latest ISPConfig 3.1.
    Now, I'm ready to move all of the older system's web sites, databases, and so on to the new server. I've read the various postings about the Migration Tool, and it certainly seems like it will do the job. However, there seem to be two different tools - the Migration tool, and ISPCopy. Either one looks like it will do what I need.
    So, after a lengthy lead-in, the question becomes -- should I use the Migration tool, or ISPCopy? Which one would be better for what I need?
    I am completely open to suggestions, advice, ridicule, etc.

Cheers
    Norm

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

if you change the os-version, you should use the migration toolkit. iirc the latest ispconfig-version will not run with php 7.4

3. Norm Powroz

Norm Powroz New Member

The PHP version doesn't seem to be an issue. I ran the ISPConfig installation on the new server and it went to completion with only minor issues. It didn't think that Mailman had been installed (it had) and it couldn't find my ClamAV daemon (wanted it as clamd.amavisd.service, but the "Perfect Server" documentation said to make it clamd AT amavisd.service). Everything else ran perfectly (I think).

Your reasoning to use the Migration tool since the O/S has been changed makes sense. Thanks.