Migrating a mailserver to sister of another farm

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by progressed36, Feb 1, 2021.

1. progressed36

progressed36 Member

Hi,
    Currently planning on moving a mailserver to a dedicated mailserver on another ispconfig farm.
    The old ispconfig farm has 2 mailservers but i would like to move only one at this phase. Using the migration toolkit is this possible to transfer the physical data on farm A mailserver to a sister server of farm B? It doesn't even need to move the data itself as I will transfer that manually. Is there a howto with little bit more multiserver approach?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. The Migration Toolkit can be used as long as both servers are not connected to the same master.

There is no multiserver howto. The steps are basically the same for single and multiserver migrations.

1) The tool is run on the old mail server node that shall be migrated (not on the old master).
    2) The tool then connects to the new master server (not to the new mail node). The tool will then show you a list of available mail nodes that are connected to the new master, so you can choose on which target node the mail accounts shall end up. The tool will then ask for ssh login details.

Always use dry-run mode first and then check migrate.log to verify upfront that everything is working correctly and all settings are correct.

If you need further help, use the migration tool support contact form here: https://www.ispconfig.org/get-support/?type=migration

3. progressed36

progressed36 Member

awesome. you took away all my doubts. tnx till!

4. progressed36

progressed36 Member

About point 2. I have 2 factor enabled on the new farm. do i have to disable first or is it "All knowing".
    And about the manual moving of the vmail folder is the --no-syncjobs command suffient?

5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

for what do you have this enabled?
    Yes, but why not use the tool for this?

6. progressed36

progressed36 Member

SSH

7. progressed36

progressed36 Member

mostly control and having the file already downloaded. its a few Gb so i rather download a full zip. Just my own piece of mind.

8. Th0m

Yes, that has to be disabled.

I would advice you to use the migration tool to make sure you have a fluent transition. :)

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would use the migration tool, it uses rsync over ssh which allows incremental syncing, so even resyncs are no problem.

Th0m likes this.
  10. Th0m

And no problem with incorrect permissions to give another plus.