Migrating from Plesk to ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by Wade John Beckett, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Hi there,
    I trust you are well.

I need some advice. I am in the process of deciding if I want to migrate my entire network onto ISPConfig from Plesk.
    I have around 100 clients, and over 300 active subscriptions / hosting plans, with many mailboxes.

I really want to support the community, and ISPConfig in general, but I'm going to need to make this decision with the knowledge that there is a tremendous amount of work ahead.

The advice I need is essentially around integration.
    1. I want to integrate with Odoo ERP, so that I can replicate the kind of automation one would expect from WHMCS. Are there any mechanisms for using Odoo as the invoicing / automation, and can the Billing module work with Odoo or other accounting systems. I'd still like to use the Billing module, but I want to integrate Odoo for accounting, prorata, email templates etc.
    2. I am concerned about security. Plesk offers a WordPress manager, which allows me to sell managed WordPress plans. I think I am going to use MainWP for something similar, but I am looking for some advice on overall security of the server, in the form of a checklist / something similar to an advisor which Plesk has.
    3. I am very concerned about email autoconfig... this is the biggest gripe my clients have... mail setups need to be easier, and I tend to have issues with ISPConfig mail setups on Outlook, where the client wants the autoconfig file to be generated.
    4. The look of the ISPConfig interface is simple, and intuitive, but not very attractive to my customers, though I personally love it. Is there a way to customize the look of the admin area for customers?
    5. Finally, can the ISPConfig migrator handle such a large migration from Plesk?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. I literally love open source, and I love this project.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'm not aware of a Odoo to ISPConfig connector. But there is a WHMCS plugin to connect WHMCS to ISPConfig. But I never used it, so I can't tell you how good it works.

I'm currently working on a new App installer for ISPConfig which covers WordPress installation and maintenance functions as well.

There is a autoconfig plugin from Florian Schaal, but latest Outllok versions seems to be quite picky and ignore autoconfig that workers fine with older Outlook versions and Thunderbird.

ISPConfig is completely themable, search for themes here in the forum.

The numbers you mentioned don't indicate a large migration. Your numbers might be large for a Plesk system but not for ISPConfig. While Plesk is mainly made to manage single private or small company servers, ISPConfig was built from the ground up for hosting providers, which makes it a system that easily manages dozens or even hundreds of servers from a single control panel with several tens of thousands of accounts.

Wade John Beckett likes this.
  3. Thank you for your thorough reply Till! Very informative and is helping with my decision.

I think I'll begin investigating building a WHMCS to ISPConfig connector. That will help to facilitate the transition, although ideally I'd like to use your Billing module exclusively at some stage.

You rock. ISPConfig rocks.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is a WHMCS to ISPConfig connector available which you should be able to use or at least use as the basis. There are some threads about it here in the forum.

Wade John Beckett likes this.