Migrating from postfix virtual email server to ISPCONFIG 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Maile Halatuituia, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Can someone shed some light on how could i transfer my email boxes of several domain from traditional virtual domain server to ISPCONFIG 3.
    Thanks in Advance

2. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member

Perhaps... if you tell us a bit more about which mail server you are using currently and which mail server you intend to use with ISPConfig.

If your current mailboxes are in Maildir format, it should be a very simple matter.

3. yes it's in Maildir format and i am using postfix and Ubuntu 14.04

4. should i just import the password and username field from the old system to the dpispconfig database and it's all good. thanks in advance .....

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When the old system uses the same encryption mechanism, then this should work. ISPConfig uses the Linux crypt function to encrypt the passwords.

6. i will check the old system use FreeBSD and running courier imap and pop instead of dovecot .... if they do not use the same mechanism then any suggestion ?? thanks till

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then you have basically 3 options:

a) If you have a list of cleartext passwords or your old server stores them in cleartext or a reversible encryption, then use the cleartext passwords to create new hashes for ISPConfig.
    b) If you don't have the cleartext passwords, set new passwords and send them to the users before you exchange the server.
    c) Change the ispconfig sources and add support for the encryption mechanism that your current system is using.

8. Till
    Is it possible that i can replace my login and password column on the mail_user table in the dbispconfig panel database with my current username and password column on the current system. That would allow the current customer to use their existing username and password on the new system under ispconfig. Also how can i let ispconfig use only the part before the @domain as login instead of the full email address... hope to hear you soon