Migrating from to "cloud" VPS

Discussion in 'General' started by unsichtbare, Jul 17, 2019.

1. unsichtbare

unsichtbare Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all, I have a multipart about migrating from VMware ESXi to VPS or dedicated host:

First: does the community have any recommendations of good hosting providers for ISPConfig? I prefer Ubuntu LTS servers.
    Second: I plan on migrating 15 sites from 3 or so VMware VMs, all running ISPConfig 3 to a single instance - using the ISPConfig Migration Toolkit (paid). Is this a good use-case for the ISPConfig Migration Toolkit?

Thanks,
    JB

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Are the "3 or so VMware VMs" part of the same ISPConfig multiserver setup? Or do you have three separate ISPConfig installations?
    I use OVH hosting, and there I can install any OS I want. I install Proxmox (https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve) and create virtual machines for the hosts I need and install ISPConfig on those.
    Last time I used Migration Toolkit, I think it supported only migrating from a single Source setup. But I remember there was discussion on this forum later that nowadays it is possible to migrate from serveral ISPConfig source setups to a single Target ISPConfig, so it seems possible to use MIgration Toolkit to combine 3 ISPConfigs into one.

unsichtbare likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The Migration Tool supports single as well as multi server setups and it also supports it to join multiple servers into one target system. So what you try to achieve can de sone with the tool easily.

unsichtbare and ahrasis like this.
  4. unsichtbare

THX guys! Any recommendation for good VPS or dedicated hosting provider?
    BTW: These are 3 separate ISPConfig servers running independently on 14.04LTS and 16.04LTS

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I have most of my servers at Hetzner, some Dedicated servers as well as cloud servers, I guess it's not easy to beat their performance/price ratio if datacenters in Germany and Finland suit your needs. If you need data centers in the US, then upcloud might be a good choice. I used Linode as well in the past and it worked fine, nothing to complain about. Their admin UI looked a bit outdated but I heard that they renovated it completely not long ago.

unsichtbare likes this.
  6. unsichtbare