Migrating Multi Server ISPConfig 3.1 from Debian 6 to Debian 8

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by frankbootmaker, May 17, 2017.

1. frankbootmaker

frankbootmaker New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Dear Till,
    I have a system with 3 servers, on 1st server I have all ISPConfig functions, on 2nd server all functions except graphical interface, DNS mirroring, on 3rd only DNS mirroring to provide 2nd DNS service.
    The servers are now pretty much outdated and I am seeking for the best method to transfer the ISPConfig system with all the tenants and their data to a new environment with only 2 servers, having all functionalities on the 1st one and all functionalities but DNS mirroring only on the 2nd one.

This move will likely also bear an IP Address change with, and here the domains shall be than manually changed to the new IP or there is also a script for that? I am looking for the best practice to do the move and consolidation under the same operation.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Cheers,
    Feri

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can do the migration with the ISPConfig migration tool. The tool does not alter the IP addresses in DNS, you can change them when the migration is finished with a SQL query in the dns_rr table of the ISPConfig database and then use Tools > Resync to write the changes to disk.

3. frankbootmaker

Hi Till,
    many thanks for your prompt reply!
    Would it also work if after the transfer has been completed I would shut down the old servers and change the IP of the new ones back to the old IPs? In that case what else shall be configured than the IP of the interface?

4. till

In that case, you probably just have to alter the IP address in the network interface config file and restart networking, as the Migration tool imports the IP's as they are, so there should be no changes in ISPConfig be required.

5. frankbootmaker

And what about the SSL certificates?

6. till

Manually created SSL certs of websites get copied with the website. If you use letsencrypt, then I recommend to copy over the /etc/letsencrypt folder from old to new server before you start the migration. We are working to include the step of copying /etc/letsencrypt into the tool, but until now, you have to do that manually first.