migration AFTER migration has been done... does it affect new server?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Feb 17, 2024.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've been running ./migration --syncjobs to sync old and new servers for a bit now.
    I moved over a site manually to check out the new mail handling under deb12.

but if I do a --syncjobs now will I messup the emails on the new server?? there should be new emails on new server, but also new emails on the old server till the change percolates?
    and are dns changes also updated on new server?

anything to be concerned about?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The migration tool simply rsyncs all files, including the dovecot UID log if I recall correctly. So there might be problems when doing such a action. You can of course contact migration tool support directly: https://www.ispconfig.org/get-support/?type=migration

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The Migration Tool uses rsync with --delete option, so new messages on the new system will get removed on resync. But you might be able to use rsync manually without --delete option to sync the emails of a mail domain under /var/vmail/domain.tld

4. craig baker

I suspected as much. now is it possible to do a migrate --syncjobs EXCLUDING a single domain? or for only a single domain?
    and if the DNS entries are different on target and source server after a migration will a new migration propagate the differences?

5. till

No, the selection of items can not be changed for a sync job. The shell commands that do the sync get generated during migration; the sync job just re-runs the same commands. The only thing you can do is to redo the migration for a single domain; just take care to choose that the migration tool shall overwrite it on the new server. Otherwise, you will end up with a second copy of the site.

6. craig baker

I suspected. but if these shell commands are stored somewhere I can get at, maybe I can REMOVE the ones affecting the domain I have moved manually?

7. till

It's in the syncjobs.dat file, but it's a gzipped JSON file, so there's nothing that you can edit easily without breaking it.

8. craig baker

I'll have a whack! pinata!

oh - just noticed a nasty after migration I can no longer access ns11.cdbsystems - I get a cert error and no ability to enter an exception:
    --snip--
    from the cert:
    Common Name (CN)
    ns11.cdbsystems.com
    ..then..
    Issued By
    Common Name (CN)
    R3
    Organization (O)
    Let's Encrypt
    Organizational Unit (OU)
    <Not Part Of Certificate>
    Validity Period
    Issued On
    Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 6:55:29 PM
    Expires On
    Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 6:55:28 PM
    --snip--
    so the LE cert is no longer valid.
    I ran ispconfig_update.sh told it to generate a new SSL and same error.
    also during the update run I saw something new:
    Code:
    Create new ISPConfig SSL certificate (yes,no) [no]: yes

Checking / creating certificate for ns11.cdbsystems.com
    Using certificate path /etc/letsencrypt/live/ns11.cdbsystems.com
    sh: 1: cannot open /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/80: No such file
    Using apache for certificate validation
    Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
    Symlink ISPConfig SSL certs to Postfix? (y,n) [y]:

Symlink ISPConfig SSL certs to Pure-FTPd? Creating dhparam file may take some time. (y,n) [y]:

I have not seen the cannot open /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/80 - whats this about??
    just as well I have ssh access still LOL

9. till

10. craig baker

Interesting! and perplexing. a couple of the domains I was hosting no longer exist. so obviously certbot fails for those.
    however from the log just tied it again:
    Code:
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,166:DEBUG:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Renewal conf file /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/ns11.cdbsystems.com.conf is broken. Skipping.
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,166:DEBUG:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Traceback was:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/cert_manager.py", line 437, in _search_lineages
        candidate_lineage = storage.RenewableCert(renewal_file, cli_config)
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/storage.py", line 485, in __init__
        raise errors.CertStorageError(
    certbot.errors.CertStorageError: renewal config file {} is missing a required file reference

2024-02-24 09:04:00,168:DEBUG:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Renewal conf file /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com.conf is broken. Skipping.
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,169:DEBUG:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Traceback was:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/cert_manager.py", line 437, in _search_lineages
        candidate_lineage = storage.RenewableCert(renewal_file, cli_config)
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/storage.py", line 485, in __init__
        raise errors.CertStorageError(
    certbot.errors.CertStorageError: renewal config file {} is missing a required file reference

2024-02-24 09:04:00,195:DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): r3.o.lencr.org:80
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,373:DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:http://r3.o.lencr.org:80 "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 503
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,374:DEBUG:certbot.ocsp:OCSP response for certificate /etc/letsencrypt/archive/ns11.cdbsystems.com-0001/cert2.pem is signed by the certificate's issuer.
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,376:DEBUG:certbot.ocsp:OCSP certificate status for /etc/letsencrypt/archive/ns11.cdbsystems.com-0001/cert2.pem is: OCSPCertStatus.GOOD
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,386:DEBUG:certbot._internal.display.obj:Notifying user: Certificate not yet due for renewal
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,386:INFO:certbot._internal.main:Keeping the existing certificate
    2024-02-24 09:04:00,386:DEBUG:certbot._internal.display.obj:Notifying user: Certificate not yet due for renewal; no action taken.

so its saying the conf file is broken and also the cert is not due for renewal? and various python errors? whats going oN?

now in the directory /etc/letsencrypt/renewal we see:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 762 Jan 24 16:00 ns11.cdbsystems.com-0001.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Nov 20 11:04 ns11.cdbsystems.com.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 737 Nov 15 19:55 ns11.cdbsystems.com.conf~backup

so we have a zero length ns11.cdbsystems.com.conf file. but there is a 0001.conf file? and whats the conf~backup file?

also -- I cannot log into ispconfig at all on ns11 I have no option to add an exception! how do i log in with an invalid ssl?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  11. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Recent versions of browsers do not allow exception for failing ssl anymore. Your options are:
    1. find older version of browser that does allow security excaption
    2. your browser should have somewhere in the settings way to go back to the old behaviour and allow security excaption for named website
    3. fix the Let's Encrypt stuff so your host does get certificate and SSL works.
    Try fixing by removing the certificate with broken conf file:
    Code:
    certbot delete --cert-name ns11.cdbsystems.com

Then force making new certificate, with ispconfig_update.sh --force.
    If you have certificates made for domains that no longer exist, at all or on your server, you should delete those certificates. Check what certificates there are with
    Code:
    certbot certificates

12. craig baker

for once I was ahead of you!
    certbot delete --cert-name ns11.cdbsystems.com-0001 (get rid of 0001 certs)
    certbot delete --cert-name ns11.cdbsystems.com
    ispconfig_update.sh --force still failed to make cert. complained about 'archive folder'
    deleted /etc/letsencrypt/archive/ns11.cdbsystems.com, /etc/letsencrypt/live/ns11.cdbsystems.com /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/ns11.cdbsystems.com folders
    reran ispconfig_update.sh --force and make cert. all ok!
    I still get the
    sh: 1: cannot open /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/80: No such file
    during ispconfig_update.sh I have not seen this before. any ideas?
    but anyway ns11 is now accessible with good cert!

13. till

You can ignore that message; it occurs rarely on some systems, according to the forum, but I have not seen it on any system I use or maintain. Must be related to the network configuration. But it causes no issues, so ignore it.

14. craig baker

I've been playing with syncjobs.dat and I notice there are NO references to the vmail folder. so syncjobs does not update mail on the target? or is there something its invoking that I'm not seeing? or are you sneakily referring to vmail by some other name to confuse old programmers with poor eyesight?

15. till

Syncjobs resync all content, which means websites, databases, and email.

16. craig baker

ok but I'm analyzing my syncjobs.dat and I find no references to /var/vmail anywhere!
    so the syncing must happen in migrate and is hard coded right? cant do anything about that can I?

17. till

Syncjobs are not intended to be manually edited. If you want to resync email partially, use rsync command manually. As emails are owned all by the same user, its uncritical to use a file sync tool like rsync for it. Example:

Code:
    rsync -avz --delete -e ssh /var/vmail/somedomain.tld/ [email protected]:/var/vmail/somedomain.tld/
    this will copy over all emails of domain somedomain.tld from old to new server when run on the old server. It will also remove emails on new server that do not exist on old server, if this is not intended, remove --delete option from the command.

18. craig baker

I guess i could resync vmail backwards before running syncjobs but then ill lose any emails that appear before --syncjobs gets to that mail
    folder. we assume you are just rsyncing the whole /var/vmail at the same time? so we cant exclude one domain?
    ./migrate --syncjobs --exclude-domain=domainalreadymoved.com
    would be outstanding!

One oddity im seeing too i am seeing obvious spam on the new deb12 server that my customer is complaining about! Emails offering condoms that i would have thought surely rspamd would have caught!

19. till

Syncjobs can not be changed or altered as they are just a way to run the data copy part of the last migration again. If you want to alter what gets copied, then you must rerun the complete migration with a different filter setting.

20. craig baker

I tested this out on a folder and indeed the emails move over. however roundcube (installed by instaserver) sees all the emails but cannot delete any! it gives a 'cannot move message' error
    on emails moved over by migrate (and not updated with rsync) deletion works properly!
    I thought it might be an ownership issue (as rsync was logging in as root?) and chown vmail:vmail -R the vmail folder. but no luck
    any ideas?