Migration of multiserver setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Eagle, May 21, 2022.

1. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Hey, guys. I have one master ISPConfig server and two slave servers. I recently upgraded the hardware and successfully migrated the master server and one slave server using the Migration Toolkit. The other slave server remained unchanged, but now I can't connect it to the migrated master one.
    I ran the update on the second slave, everything went without error, but I can't see this slave on the master. Please advise me.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Why do you not migrate the other slave to the new hardware?

3. Eagle

Eagle New Member

The hardware on the slave server is good and does not need to be migrated.
    The problem is that I can't connect it to the master after the migration.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

An existing slave system can not be (re) connected to a different or new master server as all data for it is missing in the new master database and data get only synced from master to slave and not the other way round. You have to import that data into the new master using Migration Toolkit as you did with the other slave server, but this requires a new server for the second slave as well.

There is a possibility to migrate a multiserver system while keeping slave systems attached to its master by using ISPCopy, but this requires moving the systems incl. the master using ISPCopy (which is part of the Migration Toolkit as well). But as you immigrated the master and one slave using Migration Tool already, this is not an option anymore. Using Migration Tool is generally preferred though, as you did, but it requires migrating all nodes.