Migration of server and ISPC

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by MaxT, May 29, 2017.

1. MaxT

MaxT Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I need to migrate ISPC and clients from one server (keeping hostname, domain names etc) to a new one with different ip's.
    I'm reading quite messages in this forum about migrations but I cannot find one finished tutorial. Is there any recommended?

I will replicate the same S.O and I will restore the backups. My main doubt is how to replace the old ip's with the new ones.

Some advice to do it in a quick way?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig Migrations can bei either done with the Migration tool or you use a normal Linux backup tool and move over the whole Operating system inkl. ISPConfig. A third method is to move config files, user etc. manually. There are no tutorials about that topic available as far as I know.

Changing IP addresses for dns can be done in the database directly with a sql command and then use Tools > Resync in ISPConfig to write the dns records to disk again.

MaxT likes this.
  3. MaxT

thanks till. The Migration tool seems a good idea for many domain names or more professional business (this little new server is cheaper than this tool). Just I need to move 5 domain names, no more. Although I take note of that tool for more complex migrations in the future.

I will try manually by moving /var/www, installing a new ISCP, replacing ip's in the old MySql exportation, and then import the ISCP database.
    It sounds right in general terms?

4. till

That's not enough as the web users and groups will be missing. At least you have to copy the lines for the web[ID] users and client[ID] groups from the /etc/passwd, shadow, group and gshadow file from old to new server.

5. MaxT

oh... ok. Thanks!

6. MaxT

Following the guides I have finished the migration but there are two errors that I don't know how to solve

1 - It seems Postfix doesn't have a right installation with mailman:

Code:
    # tail -f /var/log/mail.log
    Jun  6 23:50:12 host postfix/cleanup[21287]: warning: hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman is unavailable. open database
    /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db: Invalid argument
    Jun  6 23:50:12 host postfix/cleanup[21287]: warning: hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman lookup error for "[email protected]"
    Jun  6 23:50:12 host postfix/cleanup[21287]: warning: B594F1068ED: virtual_alias_maps map lookup problem for [email protected] -- deferring delivery

# tail -f /var/log/mail.err
    Jun  6 23:41:34 host postfix/cleanup[20262]: error: open database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db: Invalid argument

also I cannot find the .db files inside /etc/postfix; the virtual.db, helo_access.db...

I have try with:
    touch /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman
    postmap /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman

...although no success. Is there some way to fix the Postfix installation?

2 - also there are many MySQL errors in the ispconfig:
    Code:
    # cat /var/log/ispconfig/ispconfig.log
    WARNING - Falsche Anfrage / Wrong QuerySQL-Query = SELECT....

How can I reconfigure the services without reinstall ISPC?

7. till

Try to copy over everything from /var/lib/mailman/data/ folder of the old to the new server and then restart postfix.

run an ISPConfig update and choose to reconfigure services on the slave during update.

8. MaxT

thanks, the copy of old mailman worked :)

However, I cannot update ISCP because already I have the latest:
    Code:
    # ispconfig_update.sh
    Select update method (stable,git-stable,git-master) [stable]:

There are no updates available for ISPConfig 3.1.3

Is there another way to force the reconfiguration of services?

9. till

That's described in each ISPConfig release note. Just download ispconfig, unpack it and run the update.php script which can be found in the install folder.

MaxT likes this.
  10. MaxT

thank you. I have reconfigured services with update.php. First I have received a pair of Warnings because php5-mysqlnd and absence of time-zone. After fixed both things and updating again, now it seems the server is ready.

Thank you for your patience help. I know some questions can be tedious for you the people with more experience or servers. I always try to find answers by myself (like in the case of php5-mysqlnd and time-zone) but other times even the simpler doesn't appear quickly.

I wonder it would be good having a Knowledge-Base linking posts with the solutions of this forum and other useful things. The search engine of the board it's not very precise.

till likes this.