migration tool and preparation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by inka, Apr 30, 2023.

1. inka

inka Member

This time i would like to move my mail only to a new IP, including mail account logins etc.
    This is just a plain personal Mail Setup for a few Domains with external DNS and no need/use of the other Services. I just like to Register to services with unique emails.

According to the howto,https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...-confixx-plesk-to-ispconfig-31-single-server/ this is possible to just move over mail accounts and all emails to the new Server.

Before buying the Migration tool i would like to know if, contrary to the howto, i am going to be able to move from certbot (old) to acme.sh (new), maybe in my case?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

My understanding is no. Migration tool can not convert certificate from certbot to acme.sh. And if you migrate only e-mail accounts, the certificates are not migrated.
    You can, however, create new certificates on the new host once the migration is done.
    As part of the preparation, read the Prerequisites -chapter in the howto you refer, it states
    If you read the comments of that howto, you get even more insights to handling certificates in migration.

3. Farsus

Farsus Member

4. inka

inka Member

Bought the migration tool, do i get a supporter badge? Also bought the Manual back in 2018.

Anyways will try the migration later today when i get the time, though i have another question.
    If my old server was configured as mail7.example.com (PTR) and i would like the new one to be the same just on a different IP and besides changing all the necessary external DNS entries incl. SPF records to point to the new ip will there be any problems when i go about it like this,
    1. setup new ispconfig on new ip and use the same hostname, tld (mail7.example.com)
      but without making changes to external DNS yet, mail7.example.com still points to old ispconfig
    2. run migration (tool uses ip to connect)
    3. change external DNS settings incl. mail7.example.com to point to new IP
    Could it be that easy?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The supporter badge is part of the Howtoforge subscription: https://www.howtoforge.com/subscription/

Yes, you can re-use the hostname.

inka likes this.
  6. inka

inka Member

Found the time over the WE and everything worked like a charm, migration tool did a fine job.

pyte and till like this.