Migration Tool: Apache 2.2 to 2.4, MySQL 5.5 to 5.7, and Debian 7 to Ubuntu 18.04

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Ferman, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Ferman

Ferman New Member

Hello there,

I am running ISPconfig 3 on an old Debian 7 server and am wanting to upgrade Apache and MySQL to its latest versions. Doing a system upgrade to the latest Debian version to get these newer versions seems to be problematic on a live server. I have also run into the issue where Lets Encrypt does not auto renew for my sites and have spent countless hours attempting to fix it.

With that said to get everything upgraded and working I figured it would make the most sense to create a new server and use the migration tool to copy everything over if it was possible with these significant version jumps and slightly different OS versions. Can the migration tool do this?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, you can do that with the migration tool. The Migration tool uses an import approach for the websites and data, so the vhosts get newly written by ISPConfig for the apache version that is installed on the new server. Of course, it might be that some of your websites do not support the PHP version of the new OS yet, but this same problem will always arise when you move to a newer OS. Therefore ISPConfig supports multiple PHP versions, you can install an older PHP version as additional PHP and when you see that one of your sites does not support the new PHP version yet, then switch back only that site to the older PHP version.