Migration tool DNS errors

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Dehumanizer, May 25, 2019.

1. Dehumanizer

Dehumanizer New Member

I was just running a migrate tool to migrate data from my old server running ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p8 to a new one running 3.1.13p1 and it seems it does have a problem with CNAME '@' DNS records. For every such record, it spits out this error: [ERROR] JSON API REPLY ERROR: data_error_regex<br />M

Is there any way how to fix this issue? Other than that, the migration went fine...
    Also, if I wanted to re-run the migration, do I need to empty the destination ispconfig database or will it just skip what's already there?

Thanks!

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

check the log-file for the error. you will see the full data which could not migrated.

3. Dehumanizer

Dehumanizer New Member

I know exactly which records have failed to import, but I'm asking if this import problem with '@' records can be fixed in the migration tool somehow, as I'm not in a mood to fix it in the destination ispconfig by hand, there is lot of these records there.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The error that you get is not from migration tool, it is from ispconfig which rejected the record. The migration tool just shows you that the target ispconfig did not accept this record. ISPConfig does not use nor support @ records in DNS, in ispconfig you use the zone name instead. The only way to import them will probably that you alter the ispconfig sources, the migration tool does not need to be altered as it is not the reason for the problem.

5. Dehumanizer

Dehumanizer New Member

I see. I was used to use @ records before and nothing has warned me about using it in ISPConfig, so I'll have to fix it myself, or create a script to do it.

But my second question is still valid, if I wanted to re-do the migration, do I need to completely empty the ISPConfig database or when I run the migration tool again, it will just update the records that have been changed in the meantime and update the data with rsync that have been changed? I was basically just testing the migration before so I will need to do it again once I'll be ready to proceed with actual migration. It's no problem for me to do it either way, I just want to know what is the best practice in this case.
    Thanks.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The tool asks you if it shall overwrite records or if it shall store duplicates with a suffix like _1 _2 etc. To update records, choose to overwrite them.

7. Dehumanizer

Dehumanizer New Member

Oh, ok, thank you.