Migration tool - DNS related records not migrated in master-slave configuration

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by 2ni, Aug 7, 2017.

1. 2ni

2ni New Member

I have a multi-serveur configuration :
    • server A: websites, emails and interface (version 3.0)
    • server B and C : DNS (version 3.1)
    I have to migrate server A on a new hardware (from physical to virtual) to version 3.1.
    I use the migration tool to do that. The migration is nearly correct, except DNS informations (dns_soa, dns_rr). I have a look to the migration log file : only records on master server are taken ("SELECT * FROM `dns_soa` WHERE `server_id` IN ('0','1')") ; server_id for B and C are respectivly 2 and 10 for me.
    In the same manner, dns_slave and dns_template ares totaly ignored in the tool.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The migration tool migrates the data of the local server where you run it, so when you have a multiserver setup with several servers, then you have to run the tool on each node and not just on the master. The tool connects to the new master server then and asks you on which new slave node the data shall be imported. The only nodes that you can leave out are mirrored dns slaves nodes as they get their data from their mirror master anyway.

Besides that, you can not use different ISPConfig versions in a multi server setup.

3. 2ni

2ni New Member

The slave servers do not need to be migrated, they are already on VM with the new version, only the master server has to be migrated.
    I am in an upgrade process, I have begun to upgrade to 3.1 slaves first, the new master 3.1 is ready.

I have tried the migrate tool on the slave C (id=10), all dns_rr imported with a new server_id.
    I really don't understand how to use this tool in multi-server configuration.

4. 2ni

2ni New Member

Till, can you confirm my think in multi-server configuration : there must have exactly the same configuration (master and slaves) with new fresh install, next I can migrate all servers, one server at a time.
    So unusable if only the master to migrate.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The migration tool requires that you migrate all nodes as your slaves are nonexistent on the new master when you don't migrate them. The configuration does have has to be exactly the same on old ond new setup as the tool allows merging of systems too. But when you want to have the same number of servers, let's say 1 master and 2 slaves on the old setup and the exact same number on the new setup, then the new setup where you migrate the data to must have one master and two slaves as well.