Migration tool kit full version ?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Keoz, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Keoz

Keoz Member

Hello,

I freshly purchased the “ISPConfig Migration Toolkit Full Version“ and I am on verge to use it to migrate the whole content from server (ubuntu 16.04) A to server B (Ubuntu 18.04). Doing so, what will happen when attempting to access my website (as per exemple) if it's URL exists on both server A and B ?

Regards,

Keoz

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally one uses the hosts file on the desktop PC you are working on for this.

https://www.faqforge.com/linux/cont...ess-a-namebased-website-without-a-dns-record/

Such a hosts file exists on all Major OS (Windows, MAC, Linux). Add the new server IP and domain that you want to test into the hosts file, this overrides name resolution on your desktop and you will get the site from new server instead of the old one.

3. Keoz

Keoz Member

My source and destination servers are both remote, and my wish is to to move a complete ISPConfig installation from an old (updated) to a new server.

However I joined my hosting service and was given quite similar directions as yours about changing the new server IP in the DNS zone of the domain related to my website.
    I guess that I should do the same from my new ISP Config panel on the destination sever, once the migration would have been terminated. Am I on the right way ?

Regards,

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A server migration is mostly done in these steps:

1) You do a dry run with the migration tool to see if the overall setup is fine.
    2) You migrate the old to the new server by using the migration tool.
    3) You test the websites and mailboxes on the new server by using the hosts file method I mentioned above. During that time, your old server still serves the websites and email to everyone outside.
    4) When you are satisfied with the tests, it's time for a final data resync. Before you do that. it's best to stop postfix on the old server to ensure that no new mail arrives when you switch over.
    5) Finally, you change the IP of the dns records of your domains to the IP of the new server. It might be useful that you set the TTL of the dns records to a low value like 60 seconds 1-2 days before you do the migration. This will help to speed up the IP switching process.

There are some step-by-step instructions in this tutorial:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...-confixx-plesk-to-ispconfig-31-single-server/