Migration tool - license.key

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Aivaras, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

I have purchased migration tool, and there are no license.key file.
    I must create this file manualy by nentering my key to the empty file?

Also I can't find how to start migration. "-bash: /root/migration/migrate: Permission denied"

Sorry for stupid questions :)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Create a folder /root/migration and upload the ispc3-migration-tool-1_6_2.tar.gz file to the /root/migration/ folder of the old server.

2) enter the folder /root/migration on the shell with:

cd /root/migrattion

and then unpack the archive with the command:

tar xfz ispc3-migration-tool-1_6_2.tar.gz

3) Now run the command:

/root/migration/migrate

as root user on the shell. It will ask for the license key that you received right after purchase. Yo do not have to create a license file.

3. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

Thank you. Nice!
    But I still can not finish prepairing.. :)
    After step 10, I have error.
    Code:
    Please give me the MySQL root password for 'localhost' on the TARGET WEB/DATABASE (ISPconfig 3) server []: XXXXXX
    I could not get the server list from the remote api. Maybe you need to update your ISPConfig first.
    And I do not understand what I could do. Who specifically requested? Which specific server? target, source (or master with ispconfig interface).
    Anyway, All of my servers are updated.

4. till

The target server is the new server, s if the tool asks for the mysql root password of the target server then enter the the mysql root password of the new server.

This error is about the ISPConfig remote connection and not the mysql password. The migration tool tries to connect from old server to the remote api of the new server and this fails.

Common reasons are:

- You blocked port 8080 TCP connections from old to new server witha firewall.
    - You did not enter the correct remote API URL. The remote api URL always ends with /remote/ as the tool showed you at the prompt where it requested that you enter the URL. So the URL is something like https://yournewserver.tld:8080/remote/ and the remote API is always on the master server in case that you migrate a multiserver setup.
    - You did not create a remote user with all permissions on the new server or you did not enter the details (username and password) of this remote user when requested by the migration tool.

Aivaras likes this.
  5. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

Im trying to migrate from old lave server (source) no new slave server (target), but I have entered my master server url https://web.mymasterserver.tld:8080/remote/ as remote API URL..
    Its correct?
    I have created user with all permisions in my master server: System > Remote Users (there are ability just check all permisions but not for some server), and entered these details when asked (before 10 steps)

6. till

That's correct if this is the new master server of the new multiserver setup. The new slave server must be connected to your new master server and not the old master server as you can not move around slave servers within the same master server (that would be as if you try to copy a file on a harddisk onto itself, a server and the domains that it hosts can only exist once in the same master).

7. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

If I correct undersnad, there are no way, to just migrate from one slave server to another (new), withouth creating new multiserver setup each time, when migrating? In other words, if any server is broke and needs to migrate - each time must be created new multiserver system (for multiserver system)
    For example, my multiserver system is:
    a.) master server with ispconfig web interface.
    b.) slave servers for hosting 1,2,3,... all servers conected with master server (a.) and there is ISPConfig web interface.

Now Im trying just transfer all content from broken slave server No.1, to newly installed slave server No.13. So.. I must in adition isnstall aditional master server (with ispconfig web inteface) for this slave server (13)? If so, what will happen with the other slave servers?
    Probably I something wrong understand .. :)

8. till

No. In such a case you would use a backup of the whole OS of the current slave and restore it on the new server. As a server hoster you should have backups of your servers anyway, so all you do is that you restore the backup to a new hardware instead of the old one.

Such a transfer would be done with a backup tool (e.g. tar or any other Linux backup tool) or you use rsync to move over the complete OS and then shutdown the old server.

The difference is this: whit a backup you move the server OS and ispconfig installation as it is so the slave stays connected to your existing master. A migration is different, it imports one ispconfig setup into another ispconfig setup and a multiserver setup in ispconfig is basically one server where the services are splitted to different hardware nodes, so a client exists exactly once for all servers in the master database. if you would try to do a migration of a slave node within a multiserver setup then the master server of old and new system is the same, so you would import copies of all clients, domains etc which will result in duplicate errors and your system will break.

9. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

Very sad.. When purchasing this script, I was sure that it will help me to migrate from server A to server B (including all recotds, IPs, etc..), fast and withouth any errors..

10. till

That's exactly what the Migration tool is doing. But it requires that you have two ispconfig servers and you have not ispconfig server A and B currently, what you have is one ispconfig system split on different hardware systems (a multiserver setup is one server, independent of how many hardware nodes you have) and a migration requires it to have two ispconfig systems as you can not copy a server onto itself.

11. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

If I install two new servers:
    1 new Master server (for control panel)
    1 new aditional server for clients

migration will work? And transfers all data from both old servers (master and aditional) to newly installed servers?
    How about other servers connected to old system? For example name servers 1 and 2? All data (about other servers) will be also added to the new setup, with this migration scenario?
    Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  12. till

Yes, this will work. You have to run the migration script once on each old server that hosts data, so if your master server hosts also some website, databases or mail accounts, then you run it on the master server first and when the migration of the master is finished, then run the migration script once on each slave that you want to import into the new server.

13. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

Very sad, but all servers installed it to the master. This script is good when just need to move from multiple servers (other systems) into one (ISPConfig), but not the multiserver system (ISPConfig), from one node/server to other.

14. till

Then you did run the script on the wrong server (the first part has to be run on the old slave that shall be migrated and the second part on the new slave that is the target of the migration) or you did not select the right slave server when the script asked you for that data.

I had another customer which did such a multiserver migration a few days ago and it worked flawlessly, so there is no problem with the script and it works fine in that scenario. You just have to run it on the right server and select the right slave when the script asks you where the data shall be migrated to.

If you can't get it o work yourself, then you should consider to ask Florian Schaal from Schaal @it to do the migration as a service for you. You can reach him here to get a quote: http://www.ispconfig.org/get-support/?type=ispconfig