Migration Tool - migrate to new slave within same multi setup?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by snowfly, Apr 5, 2017.

1. snowfly

snowfly Member

Before I purchase the ISPConfig migration tool, does anyone know if its possible to migrate a slave server (websites/databases) to a brand new slave server within the same multi-server setup?
    For example:
    Currently have Master, Slave1, Slave2, Slave3. (all ISPConfig 3.1)
    Slave1 is very old hardware, and debian squeeze.
    Create new 'Slave4' server and join to existing multiserver setup.
    Use migration tool to migrate all clients/sites from Slave1, to the new Slave4, and then remove the old Slave1.
    Possible?
    Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not use the tool to migrate servers within the same master server. The reason is that the tool connects to the master and imports data, so if the source and target master is the same, then the data will collide as there can not be the same client, website, mail domain etc. twice on the same system.

We are working on a second tool to move servers within a multi-server which has to use a completely different approach to move data, but that's not ready yet.

3. snowfly

snowfly Member

Ok, what about if I create a new temporary master to use as transition?
    e.g.
    1. Create new MasterTemp server, its own ISPConfig system
    2. Migrate clients/sites from Slave1 to this new MasterTemp
    3. Then migrate clients from MasterTemp, back to Slave4 on the original Master setup?

4. snowfly

snowfly Member

5. till

A temporary master will not help here as the ID's of all records will be wrong. I would use the approach to use a linux backup tool or just rsync to move the whole operating system incl. ispconfig to the new system and then update from squueze to wheezy to jessie. (I prefer to update step by step, others say to update directly, probabbly both methods will work :) )

6. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Till,
    Any timeframe on the new multi-server single system migration tool? 3rd quarter? 4th quarter?
    Thanks!

7. till

Yes, probably 3. or 4. quarter, depends on how well the ISPConfig 3.2 development goes.