Migration tool (multiserver) - delete data from source server [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by SupuS, Feb 10, 2018.

1. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,
    I would like to move mails only from master ISPConfig server to the newly created empty slave server. On the master server are multiple IP adresses with one for mail services. Here is my plan:
    1. create new slave server connected to multiserver setup with mail services only
    2. run migration tool and choose mails only
    3. redirect IP address from master server to new (slave) mail server
    4. remove mails from master (source) server
    Is it right way? Can migration tool delete source data automatically? There are a lot of mail domains so deletion by ISPConfig admin is not what I like to do.
    Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not use the Migration tool to move data within a multiserver setup from master to a slave that is connected to this master. The reason for that is that a multiserver setup is basically just one server split to different hardware and the migration tool needs 2 servers. The Migration tool contains another tool named ISPCopy which is made to move salves within a multiserver setup but this can't be used here as well because you as you just want to move partial data.

In your case, I would use this method:

1) Make a backup of the ispconfig master and slave database.
    2) Change the server_id of all records in the mail related tables (mail and spamfilter) to the ID of the new mail server.
    3) Run Tools > Resync to let ispconfig create the mail domains and mailboxes on the new slave.
    4) Copy /var/vmail from master to slave with e.g. rsync. Ensure that ownership and permissions of the files get kept.

3. SupuS

Hi Till,
    thank you. What about /var/vmail on the master server? Can I delete it after sucessfully move?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can delete the content that is in /var/vmail on master but not the folder itself.

5. SupuS

Thank you Till. I followed your suggestion and migration was smooth.

till likes this.