Migration tool question --- can I go back??

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Jun 16, 2021.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I used migtool to copy ispconfig setup (and all websites etc) to a new centos 8 server from my older centos 7 server last fall - worked with some hiccups (the SSL issue was entertaining) - and it occurs to me to ask can I use the migtool to 'image' my server back to the older centos 7 server to have it available as a backup!
    that is can I use migtool to update the OLDER server with current information from the new server? without changing the os of course it would still be centos 7.
    now on the new 8 server php 7.4 is the default. if i migrate the sites back to the older server will it change the default php settings to the old default (5.6)? or will it keep the default settings on websites that are the same on the old server? (many of the old sites were running 7.2 which I added as an extra php version).
    and will mail be synced properly? will the databases be mirrored properly? and (main question) will everything work on the old server when I'm done?

both servers are running same current ispconfig version.
    inquiring minds and all that!
    My idea was to use migtool in cron as a daily or weekly way to resync the servers and have nice backup available.
    any thoughts? or is there a better way?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

The migration tool is not for two way data sync, and will not keep two servers in sync. If your need us for a server backup, use one (or several) of the many backup tools/systems that are designed for that purpose.