Migration Tool - Successful Dry Run from one server to the other

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Stefan Schumacher, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Hi,
    I just had a successful dry run, which is good considering that it is my first try.
    Question Nr 1: I remember reading that I could select individual customers. (The old servers have a lot of dead customers. Not moving them and instead selecting the ones to move would be more efficent then moving all and then start deleteting). How can I do this?
    Question Nr. 2: What happens to the data on the old servers? Are they deleted after/during moving or do they stay in case something went wrong during the migration and I need a fallback? (Of course I can and will most likely make a snapshot before migrating)
    Question Nr 3: Do you have any advice for me how to do this on an organizational level? After all a lot of users have to change their mailserver.
    I hope a bit of it will be caught by local IT but - lets be realistic - I fear that my telephone will ring for weeks with users who will ask me to change their password and their ancient version of Pegasus Mail for them. And we are a service provider, not the usual middle to small IT company which maintains Windows servers and clients. We migrated one customer manually and it took us hours, especially the part about helping them change their accounts. And we dont have any service level agreements with this people, so every minute I do more than "Here is your new password sir/madam. Have a productive day!" I am actually loosing money for the company.

Yours
    Stefan

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Where did you read this?
    Nothing.
    Migration tool preserves user accounts and passwords. If you change the hostnames in name service to point to the new IP-number, nothing changes for the users.

Stefan Schumacher likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please see last chapter - advanced options - in the migration tool tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...-confixx-plesk-to-ispconfig-31-single-server/

Stefan Schumacher likes this.
  4. Thats an interesting idea. I could simply change the A-Records of the mailservers I am migrating from to aliases of the CNAME of the new server.
    Thank you.

5. till

You can use --only-mail= multiple times in a single migrate command. But it's highly recommended to always do a dry-run first to see what get's selected for the migration as the tool needs to cover dependencies of records as well and this may sometimes lead to unexpected results.

6. Then I would like to suggest that in the next version of the migration tool the part between "Starting Api Calls" and "Processing of Entries done" should list individual domains and then restart with "Starting Api Calls". Of course I see that there are (2/2) clients and I will see the new clients on the new server but I really would prefer to be able to see the result of the migration process individually and instantly and already in the dry run which I will always do in preparation for the final run.
    Yours
    Stefan

7. till

You can see the complete details in the migrate.log file that the tool creates during dry run.

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A couple other thoughts, another way to not move old data is to delete the old clients/data on your old servers first, which may speed the migration tool a bit with less data in the database (though probably not a tremendous amount). As to (re)configuring mail clients, if you setup auotmail on the new server, it can help some (not all) mail clients figure the correct settings out.