Migration Toolkit

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by vk3heg, Jul 20, 2019.

1. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

Hi Guys,
    Current config: Debian 8, ispconfig 3.1.13, Multi server, with the second as secondary dns only.
    I'm wanting to update to debian10.
    Can I setup the target to migrate the source/primary system, on a temporary ip address. Do the migration, and then shutdown the old system. Change the ip's on the new, and then startup the new system as if it was the old system that I migrated from?

I don't have any spare ipv4 address in my subnet, and everything web/email/dns etc is pointing to the current primary system.

Thanks,
    Stephen

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The Migration Toolkit contains two applications, the 'Migration Tool' and the less known tool 'ISPCopy'. ISPCopy is an application which copies an ISPConfig installation to a new server 'as it is' by copying The websites, email accounts, databases, shell users and also the config files to the new server without altering them. On the first glance, it is less functional to the Migration tool which allows you to merge systems, change to other operating systems etc. but it has a huge benefit, and that's why we developed it, that it is able to create a 1 to 1 copy of an ISPConfig system, so you can use it to copy the master or a slave of a multiserver system to a new server and then replace the original server by exchanging the Ip as you plan it. there is just one thing that the tool is not doing yet, it will not copy the additional MySQL root users on the master to the new server as they do not belong to ISPConfig directly, but you need them when you update a slave server next time. You will have to recreate them on the new master or copy them over with e.g. PHPMyAdmin. After a server is copied by using this tool, run an ispconfig update with reconfigure services = yes as this will fix possible inconsistencies and in case the new server has a newer operating system version, it will also update the config files for this new version.

The Migration is also possible by using the Migration Tool (from Migration Toolkit), but you have to migrate the master and slave server then to 2 new servers. So if you want to update or migrate both systems, then use the Migration Toolkit, otherwise use ISPCopy. Both tools are included in the Migration Toolkit license.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I believe you will need to manually update the system php setting as well, since debian 8 -> 10 changes php major versions. There is a rfe for the installer to catch that in a future version, but i believe it does not at this time.

till likes this.
  4. till

Yes, forgot about that. When you use ISPCopy, then you'll have to adjust the PHP settings. When the Migration Tool is used, no adjustment is required.

5. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

Thanks for the detailed response till, and Jesse.
    I have purchased the toolkit, and have been doing some testing about the best way to do this.
    I have been getting a lot of error's in the billing module section during the transfer.
    I would like to send the logfile, but don't want to use a public forum to do so.. What's the best way to send it in?

Thanks,
    Stephen

6. till

Please send the log to: migsupport [at] ispconfig [dot] org

7. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

Sent in just now from the same email address that was used to purchase the toolkit.

Thanks,
    Stephen

8. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

HI Till, is there anything to report from the logfile I sent in?

Stephen

9. till

Hi Stephen,

I'm really sorry that you did not receive the answer yet. I'll check with the support team what went wrong and why you did not receive the answer on Wednesday. I'm not able to access that mailbox from here today, I will contact you on Monday.

Till

10. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

Thanks Till, I have been in contact with Marius, and have received a new version of the toolkit.
    Have now done the migration, and adjusting of things it doesn't do.
    will provide further log's shortly, as it still generated error's.

Stephen