Migrationtoolkit - Multi-Server -> Multi-Server

Discussion in 'General' started by pyte, Jun 9, 2022.

1. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    as we have a lot of difficulties with our current ISPConfig Multi-Server Setup i decided to go the route and migrate everything to a new multi-server setup.
    I will order the license today and try to migrate the setup tomorrow.
    Is there any guide for multi-server to multi-server migration? Anything special for this kind of migration?
    My current setup looks like this:
    ispconfig.server.xxx - ISPConfig Panel (Main Server)
    www1.server.xxx - Webserver 1 (IN USE)
    www2.server.xxx - Webserver 2 (IN USE)
    db.server.xxx - Databaseserver (IN USE)
    ns1.server.xxx - Nameserver 1 (NO Live Data)
    ns2.server.xxx - Nameserver 2 (NO Live Data)
    mx1.server.xxx - Mailserver 1 (NO Live Data)
    mx2.server.xxx - Mailserver 2 (NO Live Data)

In the new setup i maybe add another db server but thats it. Anyone with experience doing a migration like this?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The migration tool instructions deal with this kind of migration also.
    Migration toolkit supports migration from multiserver setup to some other kind of setup. During migration specify which services are migrated to which server on the TARGET installation.
    I had only one e-mail server on both SOURCE and TARGET, I do not remember if there was anything special with two MX servers.

pyte, ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Some general notes, the tool must be run on each old node one after another that holds any data and is in use, so basically on all nodes except ispconfig.server.xxx. You let the tool always connect to the new master, the tool then shows a list of servers of the new multiserver setup and lets you choose where the data shall get migrated to.

Besides that, all instructions from the migration guide apply to multiserver migrations too.

pyte and ahrasis like this.
  4. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you both for the clarification :) Cheers