Millions of sess_* files in the tmp folder since php 7.X

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SuperLOL, Jan 1, 2021.

1. SuperLOL

SuperLOL Member

Hi,
    I noticed that my server used 40GB more space than it should have. And after a long investigation i found out that the "tmp" folder was full of 0KB's sess_* files. I couldn't even open the folder because of the amount of files in it.
    So i had to run an extra command for over a day to empty this "tmp" folder. :eek:

But it's not over yet this "tmp" folder still gets spamed with 1000's of sess_* files per hour. Dose someone know why this happens? I didn't had this problem with php5.6 and my website even uses the MySQL Database to save the sessions of the site visitors. o_O

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. SuperLOL

SuperLOL Member

Is it possible to get the php5.6 behavior back. I never saw my "tmp" folder getting spamed with sess_* files with php5.6.
    I feel a little bit uncomfortable to have something spamming my "tmp" folders with useless files, and blocking me from even opening it because of the amount of files that are being saved in this "tmp" folders in less than an hour with a medium traffic website.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  4. Th0m

I am not sure but I thought Debian and Ubuntu cleaned them up automatically for PHP 5. So no different behaviour there. And some PHP applications clean them up themself.

5. SuperLOL

SuperLOL Member

Don't know how Debian 9 cleaned them up before, but i never saw those sess_* files in the "tmp" folder before with php5.6.
    It would be interesting to know how big websites are dealing with this sess_* file spam problem. :rolleyes:

6. Th0m

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

8. SuperLOL

SuperLOL Member

Even if the "tmp" folder is now getting cleaned up. We still can't open it be because of the amount of new "sess_*" files that are getting spammed into that folder. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021