Minimum requirements to run a server?

Discussion in 'General' started by Oceanwatcher, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Oceanwatcher

Oceanwatcher New Member

I will have the opportunity to get a server set up on a 10Mb fiber and I am wondering what the minimum setup should be.

Before you answer, please read this:

I am NOT talking about hardware, I am thinking about if I need anything besides this only server.

The server will have to be behind a firewall for now. But with IPv6 things will be better.

As setting up domains needs two DNS'es - how do you solve this? One can always run on the server itself. But what about the other? Does this mean that you can never have only one server, you need a minimum of two servers?

It would be nice to see a little schematic of the minimum that is required to run your own "webhotel".

As I am already well familiar with Ubuntu, I am thinking of using Ubuntu server and possibly ISPConfig3. I have also been thinking about renting a server somewhere to host my own domains and rent out space. But again - still wondering about logistics.

Sorry to ask such newbie questions - if anyone has documents or blogposts etc. on this, I am more than happy to see links to it. :)

2. Toucan

Toucan Member

Hello Ocean

My primary server which runs the master ISPconfig software and all services currently hosts about 10 independent sites with associated services. A typical site had 21 868 MB of web traffic last year so light to moderate traffic.

This server sits on the back of a DSL line with a current upload speed of 6meg. The site mentioned above also serves video content directly and does it's job well.

Regarding the DNS issue. There are different trains of thought and allowed practice. Like you say, the correct standards are that there must be at least two servers on different subnets. However, in my opinion, as ispconfig is capable of hosting all services, ie, web and dns on one machine, then if the machine was offline for dns (and you have no secondary) then it wouldn't matter, because the chances are the web server would also be offline making a backup pointless. Most registrars demand you list at least two names servers so the way I used around this for a few years was to make two DNS records that both point to the same dns server ie NS1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com both point to the same nameserver - your ispconfig server. The better way to handle this is to have your server as your primary server and use a free service to act as the secondary server. Lot's of registrars offer this free service.

However, ultimately now I have a secondary server that is a virtual server at a data centre which acts as an ISPconfig slave. This one now also acts as my secondary name server. This server is superfast and with a 1gb internet connection for which I rent for just £10 a month!!

I'm guessing you may have some experience of the former ebox? How about you set up a virtual host on that platform with a site and try accessing that from an outside browser to test your line strength.

I can give you examples of sites on both servers if you so wish.

:)