Mirror of.. - Function

Discussion in 'General' started by studiox, Jul 5, 2010.

1. studiox

studiox New Member

Hi,
    First: I have been using ISPConfig the last four years (2x) and the upgrade to 3x was a BIG upgrade in a pleasant way :)

Now. I have been trying to figure out what the purpose of "mirror server" is. By reading different threads there its not obvious for me the purpose and I was hoping that someone could explain it a bit.

For example:

* Should it be seen as a copy of the ISP config DB?
    * Should it be seen as a slave to DNS functions? (Transfer)
    * Should it been seen as a "hot stand-by" to the http/mysql functions?
    * Should it be considered as an slave to Mail functions (Alternative MX)

This would help me setup my infrastructure. My original planning included for example external DNS servers (not part of ISP config) as well as additional webservers (part of isp config)

I have been trying to replicate DNS zones on the "mirror server" without success. But i'm not sure how its handled in the background (rsync, xfer etc)

Any guidance would be helpful :)

Regards
    //Anders

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The "is mirror of" function does what its name say, it makes one server a mirror of another server. So this function can be used for all the scenarios that you listed above. It mirrors the configuration and not data so that 2 servers are configured identically.

3. studiox

studiox New Member

Thanks, that has of course already been obvious for me!

So, if the option mirrors the config but not the data how is the data transferred?

4. damir

damir New Member

That is up to you to decide. Gluster, nfs or rsync. :) DNS part is handled by mysql mirror (Master/Slave).

5. Toucan

Toucan Member

If you're like me and adding a slave mirror sometime after the master installation, I found it only writes changes to the mirror from that point on. That may explain why your dns zones aren't added to the slave.

On the master, edit a dns zone by changing the zone's admin email. Give it a couple of minutes and the zone should also be written to the slave.

The same is also true for sites. Make a change to the site such as quota and you'll then find the vhost will be added to the mirror.

As explained in other posts, this doesn't copy your content to the slave. You find that only default index files to the mirror.

I used rsync to copy the content.

This tutorial works well:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/mirroring_with_rsync
    But be careful not to ask it to copy files it doesn't have rights for that don't exist. Change the example exclusions.