Mirroring ISPConfig with DRBD

Discussion in 'General' started by rodriglm, Dec 14, 2005.

1. rodriglm

rodriglm New Member

I have two servers that im trying to cluster togheter for high availability, and i am having trouble replicating all the ISPConfig data.

We installed ispconfig on both servers from the /home/install_ispconfig. This because /home is the directory we will be mounting for data replication using drbd. We are also using ultramonkey for the heartbeat.

With only the heartbeat running (drbd is not running) we can get to the ispconfig admin login page and log in, on a virtual ip created with the heartbeat config files.

When we take node1 offline, node2 comes on and picks up a little later and works fine.
    So far so good.

Now, we enter information in ispconfig, create some websites, email users... in node1 and we want the data to replicate to node2. We start drbd mount our mirrored devices and again we are able to reach ispconfig page, log in, we can get to webmail, etc... everything works good. This with node1 as primary and node2 secondary.

Then, we take node1 offline, do the process needed to mount the mirrored device on node2 and make it primary, and all of the sudden nothing works.

My take on it is that we need to mirror other directories that hold the websites, email, webpages, etc.... that are not being mirrored.

Now, my question is, does anyone know what directories to mirror to get this to work?
    Will i have to do the changes that i do to ispconfig on both servers? cause, that kind of defeats the purpose.

I would appreciate any information that anyone can give me.

Thank you....

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You should also mirror the config files of Apache, your FTP server, Postfix/Sendmail, Bind, etc... Also /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, the MySQL databases, the directory where ISPconfig creates the web sites in (this is /home/www by default, unless you chose something different during installation).

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Generally, ISPConfig configures the services like apache, bind postfix etc. trough their config files. If you want to mirror ISPConfig, you will have to mirror these config files and the ISPConfig mySQL database too. The config files are:

Vhost_ispconfig.conf (in /etc/apache/vhosts or similar)
    /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group /etc/gshadow
    named.conf and all the include files.
    /etc/postfix/local-host-names
    /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf

problematic might be the system quotas too.
    I dont know what happened to the apache logfiles for ISPConfig, written in /var/log/httpd/ and the proftpd xfer.log

If you switch to the second server, any service must take care that the services on this server has loaded / reloaded their config files.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe this is an interesting solution for ISPConfig high availability.

http://www.openssi.org

But I#ve not tested it yet.

5. rodriglm

rodriglm New Member

Thanks for the info, i will try to implement it. Also, in case we need to consider openssi, does anyone know if the RH 9 version works on FC4?

Thanks.

6. heyp

heyp New Member

Anyone already tested ispconfig with openssi?