missing feature: email-aliases for multiple domains

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by olaus, Mar 29, 2006.

1. olaus

olaus New Member

mahlzeit,

problem: a customer has 20 domains and want's all mails of all domains into one pop3-account. if i didn't miss anything the only solution for him so far would be:

create 20 system-users with 20 password and 20 directories, each with catchall and forwarding to that one account.

my proposal would be to allow email-aliases to be of any domain the customers owns, technically i would do it like this:
    - the email-aliases aren't stripped of their domains after entering them (but it's checked that all domains belong to that customer to prevent him from getting other customers mails).
    - the script creating the virtusertable doesn't append the default domain for that user if the alias already contains an @
    - empty username is allowed ( postfix virtusertable treats e.g. "@test.te" as catchall for test.te

this will work easily for postfix, i don't know about other MTAs.

if there aren't good reasons against it or somebody has a better proposal i would code that.

ciao
    arnim

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The solution is simple: create a web site in ISPConfig with all needed domains as Co-Domains, and then create one user. He will then receive emails for all 20 domains.

3. olaus

olaus New Member

that solution doesn't work in this case because:
    - most of those 20 domains have different webpages (in putting them in subdirectories which then redirect to www.topdomain.de/subdomain (visable in the browser) is no good solution either)
    - it would only for catch-all and it's usefull to be able to switch from catch-all to single adresses as soon as spammers start to use that domain to fake thier from-field with it.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This will break the user sheme that is currently used in ISPConfig where the email functions are grouped around the user object. If you code it, it must work with postfix and sendmail.

Also this functionality is already implemented in the ISPConfig 3 source tree so the question is if its worth the time to implemement it for ISPConfig 2 again.

5. olaus

olaus New Member

what would it break ? as long as no aliases with domains are used nothing changes.

sorry, neither time nor sendmail to test that. i could make it an option in config.inc.php

i need it by end of march, 2006 ;)

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

sure :)

Thats OK. As long as it is possible to disable it. Otherwise we get problems if a feature does not work with all supported MTA's.

Thats a bist short for ISPConfig 3 ;)