Missing maildir - bounce or tempfail?

Discussion in 'General' started by catdude, Nov 19, 2007.

1. catdude

catdude New Member

As posted in a previous thread, I had a bunch of user maildirs disappear over the weekend. When I checked the mail logs I saw that messages destined for the missing maildirs were being bounced (Nov 19 06:31:39 gx postfix/local[20551]: 3B9B26D403D: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (maildir delivery failed: create /its/isp/hosted/web371/user/customerdomain.com_duane/Maildir/tmp/1195475499.P20551.gx.eac: Permission denied)

The user referenced here has an entry in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, has an entry in /etc/postfix/virtusertable, and an entry in /etc/courier/userdb. He does not have a home dir or a Maildir.

My previous experience have been mostly with sendmail and qmail. If the user's Maildir has bad permissions or is missing, shouldn't postfix be doing a TEMPFAIL instead of a BOUNCE?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The delivery is done by procmail, so I guess that postfix does a bounce as it does not get the "reason" for the failure from procmail.

If the users are still in the database and /etc/passwd, you can try to set the field status of the records to 'u' in the isp_isp_user table, then update one of the users in the interface and ISPConfig will recreate the maildirs with the correct permissions for you.

You might want to check the ispconfig.log file too, if the deletion of the directories is not logged there, then the directories had been deleted on the shell or by ftp.

3. catdude

catdude New Member

Excellent! Thank you very much.

My boss got a call from the customer late yesterday. Seems he was in messing around, didn't know what he was doing, and ended up deleting the user home dirs via FTP. Mystery solved.