mod_geoip2

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by zapyahoo, Nov 23, 2013.

1. zapyahoo

zapyahoo Member

Hello,

Did a couple of searches and found 2 threads related to country ip blocking, mostly iptables.

Many users are starting to request this feature to block countries like china, india, vietnam, etc. Can't really blame them, these visits generate absolutely nothing good, just spam or content ripoff.

This would be a nice future feature to add to ispconfig3 and activated / enforced in each website apache directives. If on, countries to block.

Meanwhile, any good tutorial on how to implement mod_geoip2 with ispconfig3?

Thanks

2. Wisdown

Wisdown Member

I use as workaround pfblock addon on my pfSense firewall

;)

3. suther

suther Member

Would love to see those geo-ip blocking implemented in ISPConfig.

4. Nilpo

Nilpo Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can install mod_geoip2 per its instructions. Then add geoip.conf to your conf directory. On CentOS it's /etc/httpd/conf.d/

Code:
    LoadModule geoip_module modules/mod_geoip.so

<IfModule mod_geoip.c>
      GeoIPEnable On
      GeoIPDBFile /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat
    </IfModule>

You may need to correct the paths accordingly.

I also add an Apache directive snippet to selectively disable it per website.

You can also block traffic for each website using the optional Apache directive snippets.

Code:
    GeoIPEnable On
    GeoIPDBFile /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat

SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE CN BlockCountry
    SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE RU BlockCountry
    # ... place more countries here

Deny from env=BlockCountry
    According to performance recommendations, you should use GeoIPEnable Off at the server and site level and enable it per page. I personally have not found it to be problem, but every server is different.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  5. Nilpo

Nilpo Member HowtoForge Supporter