mod_jk setup problems

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by xtine, Jun 14, 2008.

1. xtine

xtine New Member

I followed this how-to to set up mod_jk on my server, but run into some issues - http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_tomcat5_mod_jk_p2

My platform
    OpenSuse 10.2
    Apache 2.2
    Tomcat 6.0.16
    Jakarta-Tomcat Connector 1.2.26
    ISPConfig 2.2.23

Problems
    1) This line added to server.xml is creating a classnotfound exception when starting up tomcat. I see the error in my catalina.out log; and this exception causes Tomcat to not start. When the line in server.xml is commented out, I'm able to start Tomcat, and the auto config file is generated. How do I retrieve/install the missing class? I've already tried re-downloading and re-unpacking Tomcat and the connector; but the error is still there.

Line in server.xml
    Error in catalina.out
    2) After finishing all configurations and restarting apache, the following error is thrown by Apache. I'm no longer able to access www.example.com, though I was able to before. [I've substituted my domain name with www.example.com.] This error is seen when Apache starts/stops.

Once I remove the include in httpd.conf for mod_jk.conf (and the corresponding JkOptions, etc.), I'm able to access www.example.com again.

This is the content of my auto generated mod_jk.conf file. I've checked that the paths are correct.
    Any ideas where I went wrong? Is this issue related to the 1st problem about the StoreConfigLifecycleListener class?

2. xtine

xtine New Member

I figured out how to fix my problem #2. Yay! Here's basically how I fixed it.

- Name the worker consistently across the workers.properties file and the mod_jk.conf file. Before, it's sometimes referred to as worker1 and sometimes as ajp13.

- I had to customize the auto-generated mod_jk.conf; I moved it to /etc/apache2/conf.d directory so it'll just auto load without an additional line in httpd.conf. Cut all directives within the virtual host area and paste into the Apache Directives box for the virtual host on ISPConfig, so that it is contained within the ISPConfig generated vhost file.

I had gotten the "mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results" error because the same virtual host was defined in the vhost file and /usr/local/apache-tomcat/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf file; in the vhost file, it is defined with port 80, but defined without any port number in the mod_jk.conf file. Now that all needed directives are in ISPConfig, I only have the virtual host defined in one place.

I am just ignoring my problem #1 for now by commenting out the Listener line in server.xml that calls the class that's not found. I'm not really sure what org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreCo nfigLifecycleListener is used for yet. If you figure out how to get this class loaded, please let me know. Thanks!