Modified interface for mail forward

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ahagadorn, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ahagadorn

ahagadorn New Member

I am migrating to ISPConfig from another control panel I have used for years (vhcs2). I currently have many customers that have large lists of email forwards.

The VHCS2 interface has a textarea for forward recipients, and you put in as many as you like separated by newlines. It makes for a nice clean way to manage forwarding addresses.

I have modified ISPConfig to use a textarea instead of an input in the template, and it works nicely without further modifications. Apparently it will accept a newline as a separator when it parses the addresses.

The template is mail_forward_edit.htm, and the code that replaces the existing code is:

HTML:
    <textarea rows="5" cols="100" name="destination" id="destination" maxlength="255" type="text" class="textInput" >{tmpl_var name='destination'}</textarea>
    In addition, the destination field in the mail_forwarding table is only 255 characters. This is too small for many of my customer's lists.

If you could include this change in a future release, I would greatly appreciate it, and so may many other users.

Thanks!
    Andy

2. briansp

briansp New Member

I concur. For my purposes the varchar(255) definition of destination would make the forwarding feature kind of unusable since a number of my users' lists are larger than that.

Looks like this change just requires a modification to the template, and an ALTER DATABASE schema change to change the type of mail_forwarding.destination to mediumtext. As far as I can tell it doesn't hurt anything.

3. ahagadorn

ahagadorn New Member

I am using the mod daily right now. I have many long forward lists. It works great, and is a really minor change. I hope it gets implemented in a future build, otherwise I will have to change it every time I upgrade - I'm committed to it now.

I actually changed the database type to TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT is pretty huge. TEXT is 65k characters, MEDIUMTEXT is 2^24, or 16MB.

Andy

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  4. briansp

briansp New Member

Did you change the database column type to mediumtext as well?

5. ahagadorn

ahagadorn New Member

No, I changed it to TEXT. MEDIUMTEXT seems too large, but will work fine.

Andy