More ISPConfig 3/MyDNS questions

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by briandelshasta, Oct 15, 2009.

1. briandelshasta

briandelshasta New Member

I've trolled around these forums for some time now and I've experimented with multiple multi-server ispconfig 3 installations trying to understand how to make master/slave dns environments work.

I've read what seems to be conflicting information, sometimes even from either Falko or Till. Of course there's a pretty good chance I'm simply misunderstanding...

Here's my understand as to the options available:
    1) Setup ISPConfig 3 master server. Setup second ISPConfig 3 server and join it to the master during installation. It is only necessary to install MyDNS and the web gui if you want to be able to login to the second server and look at it.
    Finally, setup mysql replication between the two servers.
    or
    2)use zone transfers, an option that is not recommended
    or
    3?)I've also read that mysql replication is supposedly "built in" and that it should happen automatically when the slave server is joined to the master ISPConfig server during installation. Although this would be great, I have not found this to be the case. Perhaps it's just not implemented yet?

Ok,
    Here are the questions I have regarding the respective numbers above:
    1)Is anything actually gained currently by joining a slave ispconfig 3 server to a master during installation? I do notice that both systems show up under 'monitor' and 'system', but I do not understand the benefit. Nothing appears to be "clustered" in any way. The two servers do not seem to be able to talk to each other other than a modicum of service monitoring. Regardless, is there any difference between joining two servers during installation and adding the two together after they've been setup separately?

Also, I've setup mysql replication, but in this instance it seems very touchy. I have to be careful not to touch the slave database at all or the replication process errors and must be reset before replication can continue.

Even when replication is working correctly I'm confused about the SOA. If the master is NS1 and the slave is NS2, replicating the SOA from NS1 will of course leave NS1 as the SOA on NS2. Is this a problem?

2)I've haven't been able to get this to work, but I'm not that concerned. I haven't messed with it much and I'd rather do it the recommened way.

3)Is there is anything regarding replication built in to ISPConfig 3 or is that just bad information I read?

Thanks for your time.

2. briandelshasta

Ok, so I see this thread:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37174

I've setup a new slave and joined it to a master ispconfig server. Everything appears to have went ok according to the installer. I see the new server in the master server's interface. However, nothing appears to be replicating.
    Looking at the dns_soa table on the slave server I do not see anything.

Thanks.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Make sure that the mysql user from the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php is able to connect from the slave to the masetr mysql database. You have to use the user and password named "dbmaster_*" from that file.

4. briandelshasta

Alright, I verified the slave has access via the creds in config.inc.php, however, the the account was only able to actually see a small percentage of the actual tables in dbispconfig. It was not able to see table dns_soa.

I granted permissions to see all tables in dbispconfig to the slave user, but I still do not see any replication.

5. till

Ok, just to make sure that we speek about the same thin. ISPConfig replicates only data that was added for this specific server, it does not mirror data that was generated for a server with another ID.

Mirroring of servers will be implemented in ISPConfig 3.0.2.

6. briandelshasta

Ahh...thank you for the clarification. I checked and that *is* working. If I change the 'server' entry for a zone to the slave it does indeed transfer it to the slave. I guess I was misunderstanding the functionality here.

So the recommended solution is to use mysql replication then? Is this going to create and issue with the SOA remaining NS1 in both databases?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  7. till

its absolutely ok if soa remains ns1.