moving all data from isp2 to isp3

Discussion in 'General' started by hanswid, Jul 7, 2009.

1. hanswid

hanswid New Member

what is the better way to move all data from ISPConfig 2 to ISPConfig 3? Is it using Backup Restore procedure provided by IPSConfig control panel? Or should we do it manually like here : http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16488&postcount=2 Would it be any serious problem? Or I should start everything from zero?

sorry too many question, but it's very important for me to be sure which way I should be going. thx

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3 is a completely different software then ispconfig 2, so you can not use the backup/ restore procedure and you can also not use the manual procedure that you listed above.

At the moment there is no migration script or similar solution. You will have to start with a empty ispconfig 3 system and then create clients, websites and users manually.

By the way, ispconfig 2 is still a stable branch and fully supported with updates and it will be available for the next years, so there is no need to migrate a ispconfig 2 setup to ispconfig 3.

3. hanswid

hanswid New Member

thx for the explanation. so here is the situation. my current server is using ispcinfig 2.x for more than a year now, hosting some domains. unfortunately something is wrong with my server, it keeps restarting every exactly an hour. Short story, i decided to install it on a new harddisk, now with ispconfig 2.x coz i need my old data.

Question is: which way is better for me to do the migration? restore backup or manual copying? if manual, could you please let me know what are folders to copy?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer